When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 Schwinn Volare

-
20230520_125504_copy_1472x1104.jpg
Snagged it! Had to drive out to JFK Airport, but it was worth it!

Beautiful bike! I have read that Schwinn told Panasonic to build a bike equal to the Paramount and the Volare is what they built. I have 2 of them that I bought about 5 years ago and I continue to look for them on eBay, CL and at the 4-5 bike shows that I attend each year. I haven’t ever seen them at the bike shows and rarely see them on eBay anymore. Considering that they were only made for two years IMHO I would call them rare. The blue bike is a Paramount and the other two are Volaries. Tim

View attachment 1124773

View attachment 1124774

View attachment 1124775
The Volare is a bike that was built by Panasonic (National Bicycles) just like the later to come PDG frame set program and the PDG model run. They made some very nice frame sets for Schwinn over the years.

However, one correction. Schwinn never asked a vendor to build something just like something else. Schwinn had a product management group. They spent night and day spec'ing every single nut, bolt, and frame tube of the bicycle, right down to the colors and decal graphic's. Nothing was ever left open to someone else's option. It was all "cost price" driven. They "spec built" the model to meet a "retail price point" and that is what drove the component level, and even the country of origin.

John

Back