When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year is this Super Sport

-
What determines whether you need a long or short cage? Is it the number of teeth on the largest cog wheel, if so, what is that number? Thank you

What determines whether you need a long or short cage? Is it the number of teeth on the largest cog wheel, if so, what is that number? Thank you
The cage length is mainly a response to the combined tooth spread on front and rear cogs (sometimes called 'capacity')....its role is to take up the chain slack...the greater the spread of gears, the longer the cage needs to be to take up more slack. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer outside of trial and error (or some pretty involved mathematical analysis). As an example, 14-32 in the back and 50-39 in front requires a derailleur with 29T capacity. According to the Huret catalogs, the Allvit has 34T capacity, while the Super Allvit (long cage) has 48T capacity (probably a bit exaggerated). There are other variables that play into it (like chain length and cage geometry), and you can certainly cheat a smaller capacity derailleur into working with a larger spread if you have some discipline (like never using the small/small and/or large/large combinations). Attached one sheet that shows the comparison of the Allvit and Super Allvit.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 1.08.39 PM.png

CCDC.1, thank you for your explanation. It ends up that this bike would never have shifted into first gear as the chain that was on the bike was too short. I ended up swapping out the broken jockey wheels of the Simplex short cage that came on the bike when I bought it. I also lengthened the chain. It now shifts into all gears. Thank you

June 1969

June 1969 And 134th frame built.
I wonder if the serial numbers were only sequential by frame model, or by frame model "and frame size" on the chrome moly frames? Only 134 by "mid year" seems like a low number? Maybe it was the 134th 24" sized Super Sport frame? It's just a guess.

John

I wonder if the serial numbers were only sequential by frame model, or by frame model "and frame size" on the chrome moly frames? Only 134 by "mid year" seems like a low number? Maybe it was the 134th 24" sized Super Sport frame? It's just a guess.

John

The 134th frame for June 1969.

The Chicago Serial Numbers consist of a letter representing the month of manufacture, a number indicating the last digit of the year (1960 - 1964; 0=1960, 1=1961, etc.) or a letter indicating the year(1965 - 1979; A=1965, B=1966, etc.), followed by a sequential series of five or six digits (e.g. A367584 or CB77584). If letters were used for date codes, they skipped the letters "I" and "O" as they looked too much like numbers. Note: This scheme is for all Chicago built non-Paramount models excluding 1962-1963 Superiors, 1964-1969 Super Sports and 1968 S/S Tourers (whose Serial Numbers are located on the left rear axle hanger and consist of a single letter code for the month [again, skip "I" and "O"], the last digit of the year and a 3-digit sequential build number -- e.g. 'K6018' is the 18th frame built in October of 1966). The 1970 Super Sports with Huret dropouts seem to have used a two digit year ('C70204' -- March, 1970, 204th frame).

The 134th frame for June 1969.

The Chicago Serial Numbers consist of a letter representing the month of manufacture, a number indicating the last digit of the year (1960 - 1964; 0=1960, 1=1961, etc.) or a letter indicating the year(1965 - 1979; A=1965, B=1966, etc.), followed by a sequential series of five or six digits (e.g. A367584 or CB77584). If letters were used for date codes, they skipped the letters "I" and "O" as they looked too much like numbers. Note: This scheme is for all Chicago built non-Paramount models excluding 1962-1963 Superiors, 1964-1969 Super Sports and 1968 S/S Tourers (whose Serial Numbers are located on the left rear axle hanger and consist of a single letter code for the month [again, skip "I" and "O"], the last digit of the year and a 3-digit sequential build number -- e.g. 'K6018' is the 18th frame built in October of 1966). The 1970 Super Sports with Huret dropouts seem to have used a two digit year ('C70204' -- March, 1970, 204th frame).
Thanks for the answer.

It makes sense that the "hand brazed" frames had their own numbering system. The low volume Sierra's, and Sprints would be included in this group. The Sierra name was used by Schwinn long before it was resurrected as a Mountain Bike model name.

John

Thanks for the answer.

It makes sense that the "hand brazed" frames had their own numbering system. The low volume Sierra's, and Sprints would be included in this group. The Sierra name was used by Schwinn long before it was resurrected as a Mountain Bike model name.

John
Though the 1963/64 Sierra’s were low volume and are rare to find, they were electro-forged frames like Varsity and Conti frames. Thus, the Sierra’s used the longer S/N, and not the shorter hand-brazed S/N that was used by the S/S and Superior models. My 1963 Sierra has a S/N of J334647.

Back