When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID this Arch Frame Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BrianInPA

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked this one up yesterday and need some help with ID and year The serial number is 301442 and there is a V stamped on the bottom bracket also. Has a wooden seat, stem has a T on it. Guessing these parts are not original: chain ring (Elgin?), has 2.125 tires, fenders, and wheels. I appreciate any help!

20230520_185125.jpg

20230520_190044.jpg

20230520_185206.jpg

20230520_185237.jpg

20230520_185213.jpg

20230520_185135.jpg

20230520_185224.jpg

20230520_185230.jpg

Davis-like sideways arrangement of serial number stamping.
Sometimes Davis bikes have a date stamp on the bearing cups.
Ok let me see what pictures I can find for a Davis. I saw there was a Davis Victor also, wonder is that's what the "V" was for. Also looks similar to Mead and Schwinn Excelsior.

I have a Davis built Victor (non-arch) it has the sideways numbers stamped on the BB. Did not see a V but it might be buried under paint and primer. Nice bike good luck with it!

I have a Davis built Victor (non-arch) it has the sideways numbers stamped on the BB. Did not see a V but it might be buried under paint and primer. Nice bike good luck with it!
Oh that's cool! It does seem that the sideways number is a Davis thing after doing some reading here. I would love to find out what year it is. Archie said above to try the bearing cups.

Thinking maybe 1915; but hard to tell if items might have been swapped?
Found a 5 on the bearing cup, does that designate a particular year?

View attachment 1861517

View attachment 1861518

View attachment 1861519

1925 would be too late, as Davis went bankrupt earlier than that.

1905 might be too early, as Iver Johnson’s patent for the arch truss frame design might not have yet expired; not sure?

Maybe we can look back at the Sears catalogs to remember when they first offered an Arch bar, (similar for Westfield)?

Maybe there should be a thread with the five or six-digit Davis serial numbers and pictures and the associated digit stampings on the bearing cups;
perhaps to be reverse-engineered to compile an eventual serial numbers to years index?

Last edited:
Thinking maybe 1915; but hard to tell if items might have been swapped?

1925 would be too late, as Davis went bankrupt earlier than that.

1905 might be too early, as Iver Johnson’s patent for the arch truss frame design might not have yet expired; not sure?

Maybe we can look back at the Sears catalogs to remember when they first offered an Arch bar, (similar for Westfield)?

Maybe there should be a thread with the five or six-digit Davis serial numbers and pictures and the associated digit stampings on the bearing cups;
perhaps to be reverse-engineered to compile an eventual serial numbers to years index?
Thank you for posting this info. Yes, I thought that Davis had gone bankrupt by that time. I thought about doing a thread on the serial numbers, so I may try to undertake that soon. The Davis thread that is on here is great, I have really enjoyed reading through it! The Sears angle would be a good one too! I was looking at other Victor badged bikes to see if maybe that is what the "V" is for on mine, but no luck there yet. But I will keep digging and may just do that serial number thread too soon.

Back