When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever seen an actual 1981 Schwinn 7-Eleven team bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lance didn't come clean, that was my point. He bullied & lied, and used all his power & influence to destroy the lives of his accusers. Only when the mountain of evidence was stacked against him did his 'lawyers' tell him to come clean. I'm sorry, but that's lower than low.... he was only thinking about saving himself and his precious foundation somehow.

Kevin
There’s no doubt he lied and sullied his accusers, and that the mountain of evidence was pretty solid speculation, because Lance NEVER, actually failed a drug test.
We only know for sure, that he was using performance enhancing drugs, because he eventually admitted it.
If he hadn’t come clean, he’d still be in the record books as the only athlete to ever win 7 Tours de France in a row.
I firmly believe that after he’s long gone, and we’re all far enough removed from that place in history, that his accomplishments on and off the bike will be recognized.

Love this line in your post: “I’ve always liked bike racing though, at least everybody cheats equally.” Sad but true. I’m sure there is some level of doping going on even now.
No doubt.
Even using electric motors in the bottom bracket for awhile.
How many races were won, using that method, before they caught on to it?

There’s no doubt he lied and sullied his accusers, and that the mountain of evidence was pretty solid speculation, because Lance NEVER, actually failed a drug test.
We only know for sure, that he was using performance enhancing drugs, because he eventually admitted it.
If he hadn’t come clean, he’d still be in the record books as the only athlete to ever win 7 Tours de France in a row.
I firmly believe that after he’s long gone, and we’re all far enough removed from that place in history, that his accomplishments on and off the bike will be recognized.

No doubt.
Even using electric motors in the bottom bracket for awhile.
How many races were won, using that method, before they caught on to it?
You really need to see the doc on this and interviews with the people he bullied and ruined just because they blew the whistle on him & the sport. He admitted it because of eyewitnesses and teammates seeing him use. You don't come back from something like that in the 'court of public opinion'.....he used that against his accusers in the beginning. Without doping, he might have won two or three Tours de France....who knows. He was an incredible athlete and could have broken records without doping.

But he was a cheater and a liar....I don't care what the rest of them in the sport were doing.....many wrongs don't make it right. The sport was fraught with doping....people have to be held accountable for what they did to break records. I don't share your vision of the future where Lance is a hero once again given enough time. This is the most classic case of; "don't ever meet your heroes" that's ever been.

Kevin

Don’t get me wrong.
I totally agree with your assessment.
But, all the EPO did, was make it possible to recover from the days exertion, so that your muscles could rebound faster for the next days exertion.
The main reason that there were no winners awarded during those races, was because all top ten riders in each of the 7 Tours that Lance won, had been proven to have been using the same performance enhancing methods.
Sounds like a pretty even playing field to me?
But, rules are rules, so the penalty for breaking those rules must be adhered to.
Given the circumstances, I think the Tour organization did what was in the best interest for the tour.

Read the book “Wheelmen” to get the complete story on the Lance saga. Yes, he admitted to doping on Oprah, but never would come clean with the USADA unless he was guaranteed a very short competition ban so he could get into the professional triathlon circuit. Tygart never would agree to Armstrong’s demands, consequently, Lance never testified as to what he knew. Certainly, he was a gifted athlete and a driven competitor, but a mean-spirited and vindictive person that doesn’t deserve hero status.

My post that I loved the comment saying that I loved the “everyone cheats equally” statement , doesn’t mean I condone any of that behavior. I simply thought it was a funny. statement.

The main reason that there were no winners awarded during those races, was because all top ten riders in each of the 7 Tours that Lance won, had been proven to have been using the same performance enhancing methods.
Few years ago visited Austin TX Mellow Johnny’s (Maillot Jaune) not sure if all 7 yellow jerseys still on display. A few pics.

Resized_20150208_131813_66138685317945.jpeg

Resized_20150208_131933_66138010466174.jpeg

Resized_20150208_131455_66190335259957.jpeg

Resized_20150208_131513_66189870294905.jpeg

Resized_20150208_131848_66138392049143.jpeg

You really need to see the doc on this and interviews with the people he bullied and ruined just because they blew the whistle on him & the sport. He admitted it because of eyewitnesses and teammates seeing him use. You don't come back from something like that in the 'court of public opinion'.....he used that against his accusers in the beginning. Without doping, he might have won two or three Tours de France....who knows. He was an incredible athlete and could have broken records without doping.

But he was a cheater and a liar....I don't care what the rest of them in the sport were doing.....many wrongs don't make it right. The sport was fraught with doping....people have to be held accountable for what they did to break records. I don't share your vision of the future where Lance is a hero once again given enough time. This is the most classic case of; "don't ever meet your heroes" that's ever been.

Kevin
In my book they were all cheaters and liars. That said I’m still a Lance fan because it was a level playing field. I have no skin in the game here so I probably take a more objective view than those that were involved. I agree with Marty that down the road most will look at this and give him credit for his accomplishments regardless.

In my book they were all cheaters and liars. That said I’m still a Lance fan because it was a level playing field. I have no skin in the game here so I probably take a more objective view than those that were involved. I agree with Marty that down the road most will look at this and give him credit for his accomplishments regardless.
A level playing field of dopers....yeah that's saying something. Certainly not anything worthwhile. And the competitors that didn't dope, how will history regard them then; clueless, stupid, naive, Luddites?

Kevin

The good ole Days of doping ! , these days their more likely to reconfigure their junk and compete against the women 🤣😆😂

Back