When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre Krate 24" Springer Fork???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cruisin_on_my_schwinn

Finally riding a big boys bike
I remember reading somewhere here on the cabe that Schwinn had made the new style springer fork long before they released the krates and that these Pre Krate Springers were hard to come by. Might this be one of the pre krate springers? So far these are only pixs i have of this bike rn untill seller send me more

Screenshot_20230523_095646_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20230523_095657_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20230523_095701_OfferUp.jpg

I remember reading somewhere here on the cabe that Schwinn had made the new style springer fork long before they released the krates and that these Pre Krate Springers were hard to come by. Might this be one of the pre krate springers? So far these are only pixs i have of this bike rn untill seller send me more

View attachment 1842633

View attachment 1842634

View attachment 1842635
You have a lot of different things going on with this bike. 24" wheels with 36 spoke rims, 6 1/2" crank in place of a 5 1/2" crank on a 24" wheel frame. But the thing that has me wondering the most is what is going on with the lower head bearing? It looks like it has two lower cones on the fork stem? A 24" frame has a shorter head tube than a 26" frame and this requires a much different spring fork. The fork in the bike looks modified to fit the short head tube. Maybe it's the photo angle, but it looks like something is off. The Schwinn 24" beach cruisers of the 1980's used a mixture of parts, including a fork with longer legs.

Schwinn did make 20", 24", and 26" spring forks long before the 24"/16" modified fork was used on the Krates. 20" and 26" spring forks were commonly seen, but the 24" (before the krates) were rarely seen.

John

You have a lot of different things going on with this bike. 24" wheels with 36 spoke rims, 6 1/2" crank in place of a 5 1/2" crank on a 24" wheel frame. But the thing that has me wondering the most is what is going on with the lower head bearing? It looks like it has two lower cones on the fork stem? A 24" frame has a shorter head tube than a 26" frame and this requires a much different spring fork. The fork in the bike looks modified to fit the short head tube. Maybe it's the photo angle, but it looks like something is off. The Schwinn 24" beach cruisers of the 1980's used a mixture of parts, including a fork with longer legs.

Schwinn did make 20", 24", and 26" spring forks long before the 24"/16" modified fork was used on the Krates. 20" and 26" spring forks were commonly seen, but the 24" (before the krates) were rarely seen.

John

Did schwinn ever make a 20"/24" girls springer fork with the bolt going thru the fork leg

Did schwinn ever make a 20"/24" girls springer fork with the bolt going thru the fork leg
Not to my knowledge.

But I think you could cobble one together easier using the 26" men's fork because the length of the head tubes are closer to the girls/ladies frames. It's easier to make adjustments for the different wheel sizes than to make adjustments at the top of the forks.

The earlier forks used a "forged fork stem" and the handlebar stem size was 7/8" inside diameter. The later forks, used a "welded/fabricated fork stem", and the handlebar stem size was 13/16" inside diameter. It should not be hard to tell the older from the newer style visually.

John

Yeah you have a good point. Im tryna put a springer on a 1975 24" Town & Country Tri Wheeler. The longer head tube on that girls frame is what is giving me problems. I might just have to go with a 26" springer. Im also swapping out the 24" S5 hoops for 24" S7 hoops. Imo they shoulda been built with the S7 from the beginning.

Yeah you have a good point. Im tryna put a springer on a 1975 24" Town & Country Tri Wheeler. The longer head tube on that girls frame is what is giving me problems. I might just have to go with a 26" springer. Im also swapping out the 24" S5 hoops for 24" S7 hoops. Imo they shoulda been built with the S7 from the beginning.
We sold a lot of Tri Bikes at our dealership in the 1960's and 70's, since we were located close to a very large retirement community, Sun City, AZ. In the early days of tri bikes, they were all sold and assembled as conversion kits. Men's, and Ladies frames, 20", 24", and 26", Middleweight, and Lightweight width wheels, we tried it all. This has nothing to do with Schwinn tri bike models which did not even exist at this point. By far, the best compromise was a lady's frame for safe mounting. The 24"-wheel size placed the bike lower to the ground for better stability making it at least harder to turn over. And the lightweight wheels were the best choice for the higher air pressure helping offset the harder rolling resistance of having three tires on the ground. We sold Gobby tri bikes and conversion kits, and Ret Bar tri bikes and conversion kits. Ret Bar eventually landed the Schwinn tri bike contract and built the back half of the Town and Country model. Gobby landed the Sears tri bike contract. The two companies were located only ten miles apart and both sold thousands of tri bikes nationally. The double wall S-5 or S-6 rims proved to be very strong from the wheel "side loads" experienced on a tri bike. Any time the Grand Kids got to ride a tri bike on "two wheels", Grand Ma had a repair bill to pay. The "single purpose built" single bar tri bikes had even better stability than a Schwinn "conversion kit" Town and Country model.
John

John

View attachment 1842633

View attachment 1842634

View attachment 1842635

In the 50's starting in 1955 the springer had the pivot bolt thru the fork legs and the crowns and legs were painted. In the 60's the springer was just an option or an accessory at the stores until 1963 when the Jaguar came standard with a springer. And these were all chrome, no paint. The one on that pictured bike looks like the 1960's piece.

1963dlr_Jaguar.jpg

In the 50's starting in 1955 the springer had the pivot bolt thru the fork legs and the crowns and legs were painted. In the 60's the springer was just an option or an accessory at the stores until 1963 when the Jaguar came standard with a springer. And these were all chrome, no paint. The one on that pictured bike looks like the 1960's piece.

1963dlr_Jaguar.jpg

F***! I just got seller to send more pictures, its a krate 1999 repop fork!!! Just look at the fork and truss rod ends. Seller is asking $200 for it, idk if its worth picking up at that price.

1684899399625.jpg

1684899398362.jpg

1684899397060.jpg

1684899395843.jpg

1684899394670.jpg

1684899393464.jpg

1684899391289.jpg

1684899390167.jpg

Back