When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a dilemma.. what would you do?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's what will happen when you call the police, and present them with your police report number. NOTHING!

It's a sad world we live in currently. Don't expect Dirty Harry to come to your rescue.

The very same thing happened to me. My home was broken into, and my Matchbox car collection was stolen out of a kids wagon I had made into a coffee table. All of this collection was 1950's model cars and trucks, the ones with grey wheels. Because the coffee table wagon was painted, and a glass top was placed over the cars, they "smelled like fresh paint" years after the wagon was painted. I searched swap meets, and yard sales for a couple of years, it really pissed me off. Finally, they showed up at an Antique Store in Garden Grove on Main Street. I contacted the Orange County Sherriff and got ahold of the detective that handled my original case. He came out, looked at the cars, smelled them, confirmed they were 1950's cars, and that they all smelled like fresh paint. He walked me outside and said he had no doubt they were my cars, but without serial numbers and better identification he was not able to do anything. Welcome to the real world.

Watching Yellowstone, they have a place for horse thieves, and you do not want to have them offer you a ride to the train station.

John

Around 22 years ago A storage locker of mine was broken into and most of the bikes I had inside were taken. All stingray type bikes. Krates including a Grey Ghost, Mini-Twin, Early Stingrays, 10 bikes in all. I filed a police report, even had the serial number of some of the bikes. I made sure to hit all the local Flea markets, local swap meets, looked online, a lot of collectors in the hobby at that time were also looking out for these bike for me, nothing surfaced. A few month after the theft I was at the Hot August Nights Swap Meet at the Reno Fairgrounds. I see one of my bikes in a spot for sale. A 1965 Coppertone Deluxe Stingray I had purchased from the original owner a few years earlier. It was a stunning all original bike, one of the nicest I have had. The seller was someone I knew as he would be at most of the auto swaps I also was at, and we had even done a few deals together. I asked him how much was the bike and think he said something like he was asking 3 or 4 hundred, it still had some great parts on it. Now this person was not a friend, just someone I knew from the swaps and was and seemed like a nice guy. The bike had been butchered as someone had tried to make it into a BMX type bike, frame had a cut/notch in it by the sprocket, beautiful reverse screen guard was on the bike but also had been cut. I did not tell him right away it was my stolen bike. I asked him where he got the bike, and he told me at a flea market I knew about, and he bought it a month earlier. Now being a bike guy who knew these bikes I knew he would not have done those modifications to the bike, he knew the value of these original bikes, and he was a nice fellow in my opinion. So I told him about the bike, how it was mine and stolen, I even carried around with me the police report whenever I went to a meet that I showed him. I asked him if he would mind telling me what he paid for the bike and he said $150 or something around that I have to say it has been a long time and my memory is not what it once was. So I told him I did not think for a minute he stole my bikes, but it is my bike, and I said I know we buy and sell bikes that we really do not know if they could have been stolen at one time or another in their lifetime but we do not know that. I said I would pay him what he paid for the bike, $150 as I did not want him to be out any money, and I said if he did not think that was fair I could get the police, and with the police report I had I would probably be awarded the bike and get to go home with it for nothing. He said of course he would take the $150 and thanked me for being so fair about it and that he had no idea the bike was stolen which to this day I am sure was the case. I brought the bike back home with me to San Jose, and still have that bike. It is a tough thing to be violated and have items stolen. Do not beat yourself up over this and try to re-think it. The situation could have been handled many different ways, you did what you thought was right which is all that matters.
I also had a nice Pea Picker which was also one my stolen bikes turn up on Ebay not long after the theft. In that case I turned to the Police department which in hindsight I regret doing as I did not get that bike back. That is a story for another time. The coppertone 65 was the only bike I ever got back.

I would approach it this way...look at all his stuff...don't pay any noticeable attention to
stuff that was yours.. Tell him your a serious buyer and is there a chance you could stop
by his place and shop? maybe even buy a few random things (not your stuff) so he feels
better about it. If he says sure? Hey, you never know...could be the mother load of your
stuff, with YOUR trailer sitting there in his backyards etc....

Some years back a collector in Wyoming had 3 good Schwinns stolen by a scumbag who
they allowed to Stay at their home while he "got back on his feet". The owners called me
about this, with descriptions of the bikes.. Next thing you know? I get a call from the thief
who heard I collect/buy old bikes. He was in Calif with all 3 bikes. Had sold one to a
collector up north, had 2 left. I pretended to be interested... but never actually got a chance
to meet up with the guy.
TWO other collectors I know did however... and they both called me to tell me about the
cool bikes they scored from this 'traveling' guy. Fortunately the bikes were insured...
but the best situation happened after the last guy who bought one of the three bikes
told me about his 'score' ....and I had to break the bad news.. We were able to set up
a sting of sorts with law enforcement.. And all 3 bikes were recovered and the dirt bag
got popped! A way happy ending.
on a sort of sad note, the last guy ...who bought the 3rd bike, a jewel tank autocycle...
was GET THIS!!! ... reluctant to cooperate.. I had to twist his arm to 'do the right thing'...
he didn't want to give up his 'dream score' even tho he knew it was stolen. Not going
to throw the dude under the bus and yep a member here..but.. Eeeeesh... one of the
reasons I sort of detest collectible hobbies and their inherent mindsets of greed that so often goes along with it.
He did give up the bike.. And I assured all parties (the 3 buyers of these 3 bikes)
that they would be fully reimbursed ... The Wyoming owners, who I knew quite well, assured me
of this. Everyone coughed up their "score"...and eventually did get reimbursed in full.
And the thief got his just desert. True story... about 15 years back or so...
A happy ending. I went out of my way a bit to make an effort to help and was surprised
that the slight inconvenience of ...well mostly just some free time spent...paid off.
In todays climate? Where the police are hampered by new laws etc. sometimes
it's best to do what you can with in the law to get justice served.

A friendly cop story. In 2004 My wife and I were held up at gunpoint in a Hotel parking lot. He took my wallet and wife's purse. His license plate was stolen from a car rental lot. While answering question from the cop he told me I could most likely find our stuff across the street in Burger King's trash can, all he wanted was cash. I told the cop I need to get home as my daughter is there alone and this guy knows where I live now. The cop says how will you get home? I said I have my keys, he didn't take them. The cop then says, yeah but you or your wife don't have a drivers license.

I dunno.... maybe

tumblr_nvrjib287l1qzpn6vo4_500.gif

For all of the people that shared their losses with us on this post, I'M SORRY for your loss. Hopefully it was only a financial loss, and no one was hurt.

But the feelings of be violated is something that will take years, and maybe never go completely away. It makes you not trust anyone after a loss or theft. In my case it was at a Goldfinger Movie at the Fox Theater in Downtown Phoenix between Christmas and New Years many many years ago. We paid to park our 1958 Chevy Bel Air in the assigned parking lot. Came out of the theater about midnight and "no car". It was found about a week later stripped. That feeling never completely goes away over fifty years later

I agree with Bob's comments, you have to try to fight back, make the police reports, follow up and do everything possible to help others when you hear about someone that has had a theft. It may seem hopeless, but we have the advantage of a small hobby, and it is very closely connected. Don't let the thief's win.

John

For all of the people that shared their losses with us on this post, I'M SORRY for your loss. Hopefully it was only a financial loss, and no one was hurt.

But the feelings of be violated is something that will take years, and maybe never go completely away. It makes you not trust anyone after a loss or theft. In my case it was at a Goldfinger Movie at the Fox Theater in Downtown Phoenix between Christmas and New Years many many years ago. We paid to park our 1958 Chevy Bel Air in the assigned parking lot. Came out of the theater about midnight and "no car". It was found about a week later stripped. That feeling never completely goes away over fifty years later

I agree with Bob's comments, you have to try to fight back, make the police reports, follow up and do everything possible to help others when you hear about someone that has had a theft. It may seem hopeless, but we have the advantage of a small hobby, and it is very closely connected. Don't let the thief's win.

John

Were you still in the Phoenix area in 1973? I have no sympathy for thieves after being cleaned out a few times. Shoot first and ask questions later. 😜
In 1973 I sat next to a low life thief every Tuesday and Thursday evening in class and he would constantly ask me and my buddies if we needed any tools or rolling generators. All stolen from his employer! Then one evening he was bragging telling me he was the one that found a young couple that was shot in the hills by Saguaro Lake. Then a week later his wife enters the classroom and informs the class that Shawn is in jail and won't be coming to class any longer. Shawn Jensen was proven guilty of first-degree murder and is serving two concurrent life sentences. And now the ACLU is using him as an example of how our government is not supporting our Veterans and asking for donations!!!! That's a big shot to the back of the head. 🤬

Last edited:
Best to let it go...the more you dig the more it will just piss you off...I have some experience with these thieves and the police won't touch it without some proof and if he is a thief he's just telling you lies of where he got it. Now if you can find he is in possession of your trailer with a serial number on it that's something the police will be interested in. I work in retail and watch every day as these low lives walk out of my store with bags packed with meat/etc with no recourse.
As others have said Karma will get them in the end.

Back