When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Tiger - latest find and good story

-

OptimusJay

Finally riding a big boys bike
Back when I was heavy into collecting Schwinns (50-60's middleweights mostly) we lived down street from a coworker's dad. This was probably 15 years ago, or more. He is a super nice guy, one that is just always pleasant to talk with and welcoming. He thought my interest in the Schwinns was cool and was always asking about them when I would run into him. He kept telling me he had an old Schwinn but it was being stored at his daughter's house in a neighboring town. I never pressed him for more info other than it was red. Well his daughter reached out to me yesterday morning saying he was going to be participating in a neighborhood garage sale and had decided to sell the Schwinn. He told her that she should call me and see if I had any interest in seeing it. So after work I stopped by and turns out it really was a Schwinn (you know some people think all "older" bikes are Schwinn) and a pretty dang nice one too. Frame was stamped Sep 1961. I have always been a sucker for the painted fender models with the white tips so this was right in my wheelhouse. 2 speed red-band kickback functions perfectly. Paint is a little faded but will shine nicely, little to no rust on paint or chrome. Will ditch the rear rack. Seat and pedals are obviously wrong and it's missing the front rack and light. It was nice seeing him and I was very glad he thought to reach out to me when he decided to sell it, he's one of the good guys. I'll post pics as I go through it and clean, etc.

I'd like to get a red S seat for it but don't want to drop much money in this one, same goes for the pedals. Could live with out the front rack and light but the pedals and seat need to go. If anyone out there has what I need please reach out to me.

Here's a pic of Ken and his 1961 Schwinn Tiger

61tiger.jpg

I think that bike would have the pebble finish seat only a short run on those but they come up once in awhile. Great bike ,great story even better picture
Yup, that's the seat i was thinking too but I'm not picky for this bike, any Red S middleweight seat would do, same with pedals, not looking for exact correct pedals, some some period correct ones that could be found on Schwinns (bows, waffle, whatever).

started taking this one apart today, came apart easily and even had some relatively new looking grease in the bottom bracket! Will post pics as I clean/grease/polish. Seat, front rack, pedals on the way.
Jay

IMG_2530.jpeg
IMG_2535.jpeg

started taking this one apart today, came apart easily and even had some relatively new looking grease in the bottom bracket! Will post pics as I clean/grease/polish. Seat, front rack, pedals on the way.
Jay

View attachment 1849477

View attachment 1849478
Wow, good for you. Got right at it, and parts on the way. That's usually how I roll too. Rolling stones gather no moss, or no rust in this case, kinda my old body now too. Gotta keep rolling. Great story and I look forward to the obvious progress to come. It might even look sweet with some repop whitewalls.

Back