When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello and a little help? :)

-

EvilKnievel88

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hey everyone, I collect and restore anything and everything I find odd or interesting and bicycles have always been fun projects but I am no historian when it comes to them. I've done kids and adults Schwinn's, Humbers, etc. but recently I picked up this 1948 Huffman Dixie Flyer.

My question is what is original and what has been replaced? Parts are next to impossible to find for a Dixie Flyer this year and I can find no example of this exact color scheme but it seems to have been an option in a cataloged from 1948.

Any help is appreciated

Screenshot_20230526_114411_craigslist.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

Screenshot_20230526_114428_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20230526_114423_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20230526_175046_eBay.jpg

20230528_165215.jpg

Looks like you don't have to look for anything except some D batteries i want to say, everything else appears to be correct. Maybe some tires and tubes if it was going to be ridden. I definitely wouldn't try jumping it over the Snake River.

Sean

Last edited:
Like the others said the bike is correct as it sits. This isn't a very valuable bike and it will clean up pretty decent so there is no upside in restoring it e.g. new paint, chrome, etc... . If this is a flip do nothing to it. If a keeper get tubes and tires, do a light cleaning, service alll the bearings, and ride.

Thanks. May have paid on the high side for it but it was online with other low end balloon tire bikes of the era. I don't re sell anything, I still ride all of my bikes and always source original vintage tires which can be a little sketchy but it just feels right lol.

I have the bike completely disassembled and I'm an re greasing everything and buffing/polishing the paint. That's it.

I would love to locate period correct coaster brake wheels for it since mine are pretty rusty.

Back