When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Bob U. Bike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here’s a 41 Autocycle cycle I bought from a gentleman.It never got used the whole time he’s had it . Just finished going through it and adding a big boy spring. He told me bob shipped it in a wooden container.

34F04410-5CBC-4E93-AEF0-3814DA5221B7.jpeg

Stunning bikes! My congratulations to both Bob U. and the guys that appreciate and that have stepped up to collect his artwork.

Last week we kicked around the topic of what is a Museum Quality bike. The bikes in this thread are all museum quality, not overdone, or dripping with layers of excess paint and triple chrome. They are original, and all tastefully done.

I'm growing to like the "reverse done" factory colors more and more.

John

At some point the restoration price is just another factor. It's like a good wine, if you have to ask, it's likely not your wine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not there yet. But you have to appreciate the guys that are, and also appreciate a good wine with a great bike.

John
Out of curiosity, what would be a ballpark estimate

Cooper your asking the wrong guy. I don't restore bicycles, only vintage camper trailers.

My guess is that considering the current cost of automotive painting materials, the outrageous price to re-chrome anything, and the rising cost of clean restorable bikes and parts that you could easily purchase an already "quality" restored bike much cheaper than the cost to rebuild one today. You hear about great barn finds, but in general the quality models in high demand are becoming fewer and fewer, and the cost is increasing.

John

Here is mine. 1946 Schwinn BA-107 Autocycle
Awesome Eric @SPhantom Looks Awesome!
Great to meet you yesterday, rollin' Red Phantom too, and John, riding a Monster cruiser...

Seeing your pic posted, that "Thing" has turned me around, riding by your garage,
riding to-or-fro' theWEDGE!
Let's Ride!
img_1667-jpg.jpg

If you are paying someone to do it you could easily figure $2-3k depending on chrome, colors, paint pattern/stripes. This isn't counting parts. Like was said above the cost of chrome and cad is crazy and figure at least $700-800 just in plating on a regular ballooner. Try a Phantom and that's easily double. The cost of paint and materials has also gone through the roof and of course there is labor. If you are going to spend the money you need to find someone familiar with bicycles or willing to do the research to get it right. I've seen guys try to use their local body shop and the results are usually less than satisfactory. Maybe some of the folks here who have had Bob U., Bob Strucel, or Dave Stromberger do a bike could weigh in with actual examples of what it cost to get one done.

The first example in this thread,
(1939 green/green Autocycle deluxe)
Cost, at the time, circa 2010, about $10,000
in total.
The paint work, done by Bob U. was around $3,500 if I remember right.
The rest, was the cost of the parts needed and the chrome/cadmium and leather work.
It was more of a labor of love at the time, so money was no object to achieve the desired results.
It seemed crazy at the time, but now, I don’t think you could come anywhere close to that price, if you were to try and restore that particular model in today’s economy.
Just the bike alone, would most likely cost in excess of $10,000 dollars.
And that’s before any replacement parts were sourced and any paint/plate work was done.

Back