When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The balloon tire frames had a frame change somewhere around 1959 and so did the middleweight frame. The two class frames were slightly different with the stay widths. Can I ask what you’re trying to figure out?

The balloon tire frames had a frame change somewhere around 1959 and so did the middleweight frame. The two class frames were slightly different with the stay widths. Can I ask what you’re trying to figure out?
Thank you. Specifically, what I'm trying to find out is the exact differences between the 1955 Jaguar frame and the 1955 Corvette frame. I am interested in the evolution of the Jaguar but I am also interested in why Schwinn would have built 2 products in the same year that offered the same rear hub, the same brakes, the same fork (painted with the same pinstriping), and the same new rear fender/brake bracket just for the sake of having to reconfigure manufacturing to build a different frame. The tubing is the same on each bike, the geometry is the same. They must weigh the same. If the dimension between the seatstays is the same and the length of the new styled bridge brackets are the same, then they seem to be the same frame. The serial number series sequence is the same. Which raises the question for me, are they interchangeable?

The two bikes were "break-through" products. There was probably a little bit of risk exposure on the sales side. From the collections side, the '54-'55 Jaguar is probably a fairly desirable item. If the two 1955 frames are different, then that would further intensify the collectability of the Jaguar bike making it a "two year wonder". If they are the same, then they can be "forged" and I can make a Jag out of a Vette.

I'm just curious, that's all.

The main difference is the wheel/tire size. 26 x 2.125 w/ S2 rims and 26 x 1-3/4 w S7 rims. You’re starting to see the phasing out of the balloon tired bikes in favor of the middleweights. toward The end of the ballon bikes only the Phantom and the Heavy Duty were the only balloon bikes. And an FYI if you’re not familiar with S2 and S7 rims is that 26” is NOT equal to 26“. The tires are not interchangeable on the two rims.

The main difference is the wheel/tire size. 26 x 2.125 w/ S2 rims and 26 x 1-3/4 w S7 rims. You’re starting to see the phasing out of the balloon tired bikes in favor of the middleweights. toward The end of the ballon bikes only the Phantom and the Heavy Duty were the only balloon bikes. And an FYI if you’re not familiar with S2 and S7 rims is that 26” is NOT equal to 26“. The tires are not interchangeable on the two rims.
Thank you. Yes, the tire sizes are different. My question is about the frames. Do you know the exact differences between the 1955 Jaguar frame and the 1955 Corvette frame? Wasn't it the Wasp that was the last balloon tire bike?

Not sure about the Wasp. I think the sketches drawn previously tell you what you’re asking. Don’t try to get into the minds at Schwinn who thought that two 26” bikes were a good thing; they’re all long gone.
I know too that my balloon bikes are quite a bit heavier which makes pedaling a middleweight much easier.

I perused some catalog scans and in the late 60s, the only ‘B’ framed bikes were the Wasp and the Heavy Duty. Both probably sold as bikes for paper boys.

Thank you. Yes, the tire sizes are different. My question is about the frames. Do you know the exact differences between the 1955 Jaguar frame and the 1955 Corvette frame? Wasn't it the Wasp that was the last balloon tire bike?
The Wasp was Schwinn's last balloon tire bike, but that was in 1964. The 1954/55 Jaguar was the only balloon tire Jaguar. The 1957 Jaguar was basically a Corvette with a tank added. The balloon frames and forks are slightly wider than the middleweights but the balloon calipers are bigger too, and only the balloon Jag used those. There's probably a little difference in weight, but not much. I'll try to get some side by side pictures this weekend if I get a chance.

Back