When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences

-
Thank you very much! If possible, please confine your photographic and dimensional comparisons to the 1955 Jaguar and the 1955 Corvette only.

Thank you very much! If possible, please confine your photographic and dimensional comparisons to the 1955 Jaguar and the 1955 Corvette only.
Unfortunately I don't have a 1955 Corvette. How about a 1954 Jaguar and a 1954 Tiger? Both the balloon and middleweight frames should be identical between 1954 and 1955, as far as I know.

The short answer to your question was already answered. The frames are different. Balloon tire frame is wider than a MW between the stays.

Unfortunately I don't have a 1955 Corvette. How about a 1954 Jaguar and a 1954 Tiger? Both the balloon and middleweight frames should be identical between 1954 and 1955, as far as I know.
Tiger didn't make the catalogs until 1955 but I see where you are going. The '54 Jag and the '55 Jag frames will of course be the same and I have to believe that the '55 Corvette and '55 Tiger frames were the same. I know the Jag forks and the Corvette/Tiger forks were different. What I'm looking for is the dimensions between the chainstays of each and the seatstays of each where the tire/rim passes through. If your two frames are free of all extra weight (cups, etc.) please weigh them. Thank you very much for pitching in. Kit

There will be some frame differences where the rear fender attaches to the bridge between the seat stays, Some models will have a bridge that supports the rear brake calipers. There’s basically one middleweight frame per year with differences for mounting fenders/calipers, tabs for tanks, and perhaps a boss for a pulley mount.

I perused some catalog scans and in the late 60s, the only ‘B’ framed bikes were the Wasp and the Heavy Duty. Both probably sold as bikes for paper boys.

The "Heavy Duty" (64-65 and on) was a middle weight with S-7 rims.
Prior to that the American HD was a middle weight with S-7 rims. The Wasp and Wasp HD were the last of the ballooners until the cruisers came out.

Closest I could get you would be a 62 Wasp with a fender brace. But pretty sure I've posted pics of it here before.

Tiger didn't make the catalogs until 1955 but I see where you are going. The '54 Jag and the '55 Jag frames will of course be the same and I have to believe that the '55 Corvette and '55 Tiger frames were the same. I know the Jag forks and the Corvette/Tiger forks were different. What I'm looking for is the dimensions between the chainstays of each and the seatstays of each where the tire/rim passes through. If your two frames are free of all extra weight (cups, etc.) please weigh them. Thank you very much for pitching in. Kit
The middleweights didn't make the catalogs until 1955, but Schwinn was running magazine ads by April 1954.

Back