When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Blue Schwinn Tiger

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
In a box somewhere, I have copies of Bicycle Journal from March '54, announcing the new Corvette. And I own a '54 serial 'vette as well. They're out there!
I don't have a March Bicycle Journal, but I do have an April American Bicyclist. Notice what it says about the rims! The rims on the tandems are S-4's, correct?

April 1954 Am. Bicyclist Cover.jpg

April 1954 Corvette Ad.jpg

April 1954 Corvette Ad_Cropped.JPG

Last edited:
Those are some nice early images @Oilit .. Thanks for posting them! And yes, the Tandem had S-4 rims unless it was ordered with Balloon tires. These early printings seem to always have some incorrect information. The early Jag catalog? sheet says it's equipped with a luggage carrier, but it was not shown on the image.

I don't have a March Bicycle Journal, but I do have an April American Bicyclist. Notice what it says about the rims! The rims on the tandems are S-4's, correct?

Yes, at least they got the tubular part right! IDK when Schwinn started making tandems, I can't recall any ballooners. I think maybe the Town & Country, but that was a "lightweight". Maybe they had tubular rims first, and that's what they're referring to.

The later tandems went to S-6 wheels, but the '60's tandems had S-7's and the '50's versions had S-4's, although I think I've seen somewhere that the '50's versions also had S-2's as an option. I'm not sure the exact years these were available either. Have you seen this one? It's supposedly for sale in Eden NC, but the listing has no way to contact the seller.

ST - 1.jpg

Last edited:
The town and country tandem was available early postwar and the last year of production was 1963. That one there looks like a 61 62 model. As far as the Corvette having tandem rims, I would guess that the advertising crew wasn’t up-to-date on what the production crew is doing.

The town and country tandem was available early postwar and the last year of production was 1963. That one there looks like a 61 62 model. As far as the Corvette having tandem rims, I would guess that the advertising crew wasn’t up-to-date on what the production crew is doing.
I've never seen an S-4 in person, I wonder how much difference there actually is? Has anybody got pictures?

I went back and took another look at the rear rim, it's pretty rough, but the marks are clear. No S-4 here!

20230401_080246.jpg

Back