When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C1890 33” x 23” Metal Hotel Sign - French

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Carltonator

Finally riding a big boys bike
Touring Club de France Hotel Sign.jpg

I got this sign a few years ago off Instagram from a gentleman in the Netherlands, Olivier van Schaik, owner of Fitzroy & Everest Gentleman’s Antiques http://www.fitzroy-everest.nl/ …As I recall I didn’t know what to make of it…but it looked cycling related, old and big…so I messaged the owner…

touring club de france stitch T.jpg

He explained it was displayed on the front of hotels in France signifying approval by the Touring club de France …perhaps other countries also…if I recall the Touring club de France was the first organization in France to promote cycling…and if I recall they even pushed for building hotels to house cyclists…The sign served the same purpose we see today with American Automobile Association signs AAA on hotels…

1898_Touring_Club_de_France_chalet B3.jpg

IMG_1378(2).jpeg

The seller and I were quite similar in that he had been beating the bushes many years around western Europe looking for sports antiques…he said this sign was the only one he had ever seen…Mostly I prefer American sports antiques….but occasionally I go off reservation…I would guess it dates to around 1890-1920…Based on Olivier’s observation I wouldn’t be surprised it’s the only surviving example…

IMG_1380(4).jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1769(4).jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

IMG_1775(1).jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

Last edited:
Perfect Match.jpg

restaurant.jpg

After I started this thread I did a photo search on google...up came this photo that was being auctioned on a french website Decampe.net...A bit strange site...no dimensions were supplied in the brief description...and no way to contact the seller...so I bid blind...and won it today for €14.17 Euro....I won't know the size till it gets here...I'm guessing 10-12 inches wide...

ID 8 Stitch T.jpg

Poking around that Decampe.com site I also came across these other two Touring Club de France items that I won… I’m usually not too much for small card size stuff but I’m v taken by this I.D. card…all the graphics and fonts…and double sided… and even a photo of the gentleman Mr. Samuel Cassin …apparently he wasn’t a just casual cup of coffee member, as the card was issued in 1898 and there is a 1929 stamp on the back….

Pin Won.jpg

I don’t know how big the pin is but probably about nickel size…Kind of a strange auction site as the descriptions are v sparse…at least what I looked at…but everything was bargain basement prices…the ID card was like 15 Euro plus 5 for shipping…Maybe I’ll shadow box the three items to hang under the sign when I frame it…

I might look at that site, your never sure of what you buy until you receive it.

Thats the real adventure ! Have fun.

Back