When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Wasp Rims

-

Ron

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi all,
Looking for a little help please. Will you please be kind enough to let me know what rims and tires originally came on a 1962 Wasp? The spokes and hubs on this bike are not heavy duty, but it does have a two speed kickback. S/N E241860
Thank you,
Ron

1962 Wasp.jpg

S-2 Schwinn Tubular Rims, with 26 x 2.125 Typhoon Black sidewall Tires were original. Knobby tires and thorn resistant inner tubes were an upgrade. This model had lots of possible options and you will see them equipped many different ways for delivery service. Some of the more common options were 105 gauge or 120 gauge spokes, heavy duty (3/8" axle) front hubs (Usually Schwinn's "phone dial", or Bendix), Messinger 7000 saddles (Brown or Black plastic, or some Leather covers), Tall Superior handle bar stems called Cycle Truck stems. Our dealership always set them up originally with Box handle bars. Spring Forks were another common upgrade. Mc Caully rear racks and large Wald rear baskets were commonly installed.

John

S-2 Schwinn Tubular Rims, with 26 x 2.125 Typhoon Black sidewall Tires were original. Knobby tires and thorn resistant inner tubes were an upgrade. This model had lots of possible options and you will see them equipped many different ways for delivery service. Some of the more common options were 105 gauge or 120 gauge spokes, heavy duty (3/8" axle) front hubs (Usually Schwinn's "phone dial", or Bendix), Messinger 7000 saddles (Brown or Black plastic, or some Leather covers), Tall Superior handle bar stems called Cycle Truck stems. Our dealership always set them up originally with Box handle bars. Spring Forks were another common upgrade. Mc Caully rear racks and large Wald rear baskets were commonly installed.

John
Thank you John,
Greatly appreciated.

Also, there was a Heavy Duty Wasp for a few years, which had the heavy spokes, hubs, and the bigger seat. Eventually replaced by the 'Heavy-Duti' model.

Also, there was a Heavy Duty Wasp for a few years, which had the heavy spokes, hubs, and the bigger seat. Eventually replaced by the 'Heavy-Duti' model.
I guess anything is possible. But news to me. The Wasp was a Balloon tired model. The Wasp was replaced by the American model which was a Middleweight bike. The 45# psi American had the same optional parts equipment list for dealers to order as the low air pressure tire Wasp.

Schwinn was notified by the FTC that they had to drop the American name because they used a German made Union bicycle chains as original equipment. Never mind that after Diamond Chain stopped making chain to fit bicycles, no company in the United States made bicycle chains. The American model became the Speedster, same deal with all of the optional heavy duty parts so dealers could place custom orders for Newspaper Delivery customers.

Eventually, The Wasp, American, and Speedster model names were rolled into the Heavy Duti model name. By the time you consider wither your talking about Schwinn #1 (the family), Schwinn #2 (Scott Sports), or Schwinn owner #3 (Pacific Cycle), and then what country of origin the products came from it get crazy confusing. Frankly, after the Chicago factory closed, and Schwinn #1 started opening new "Schwinn owned" factories during the 1980's (Wisconsin/Greenville/Lake Forrest/Watsonville/Hungary) and sourcing from various vendors in Japan/Tiawan/China it just gets too confusing to talk about collecting.

John

Here are a few pics of a Wasp Heavy Duty that I have. If you look close at the chain guard it says heavy duty. When I bought it the original rims were in rough shape so I swapped them out with a different set that are not original Schwinn S-2 rims. It is a VERY heavy bike but rides really nice.

Wasp.jpg

Wasp2.jpg

Back