When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The CABE CONFESSIONAL Bike Skeletons in the Closet - Share Your Tragic Bicycle Decisions, Regrets

-
I HAD a very nice 1972, Kool orange Manta Ray, all original parts & the disc-brake model..... I always considered it to be ugly as sin. After keeping it many years, I decided to sell it. I still think the Manta Ray is ugly as sin, but I wish that I would have held on to that one. I've made other blunders, but this one stands out....

Only 2 really, neither that tragic. I had a Raleigh Tourist badged as a Royal Scot-a foundling, didn't cost me anything. I had been looking for one for a while. Found that 24" frame not meant for my 5"10" 30" inseam. Bought a very nice near mint 1974 Raleigh Sport at a yard sale, dark blue, pale blue highlights-all of $30. Got it home, looked at it, looked at it....23" frame. Gave both to a friend who is a minister of a church. The Royal Scot went to a friend of his who was looking for one and like my friend is 6"3", the Raleigh Sports went to a fellow with "developmental" problems, need a bike to get to work.

selling this bike...

p5pb12234488.jpg

p5pb12234489.jpg

I sold it to fund another Mountain bike I just "had to have"...
I have neither anymore...wish I would have had the foresight to keep this one...will never find another...

Last edited:
When I was a supervisor at a studio miniatures effects model shop we were often told to destroy assets after filming.
I always complied because of my position but in retrospect I wish I had stashed those models away. Lost movie history of an era before everthing went to CG.
Also sandblasted every bike we got in the 90's..
And just yesterday, I cleaned the rust off the rims of the 48 Monark Super Deluxe my wife brought me from her moms. Should have left it,ruined the vibe. Idiot....

Friend of mine knew I was into bikes, so he had one….his grandfathers Jaguar (I forget which model/yr). It was all there and it was just the wrong time that I needed $ desperately so I sold it for $200.
Later on I was like….WHY did I sell the bike my buddy gave me, especially his grandfathers! I tried finding the guy who bought it w no luck.
I also had a ladies Elgin…the one w the skirt guards on fear fender. Sold that for $100. Yep, another bike all there. Two bikes at the same time cause I needed $. I’m sure I could’ve borrowed the $ but I saw the bikes and I took the first offer that was given to me not knowing….ugh…..

My monster confession:
I owned a large powder coat shop up until this past March 1st when
I sold the business lock stock and barrel.
It was too easy to powder coat everything! I think my wife would have powder coated the house if it would have been possible. I never painted anything metal for years.
Now it’s major withdrawal.
I have powder coated at least 2 DX‘s, a JC Higgins Color Flow, a Schwinn Phantom + many others.
Even as I was doing, I knew how wrong it was. It was Just too easy.
Forced repentance I guess.

Christmas 1965. Brother #2 and I received matching Coppertone Stingrays for Christmas. Fast forward to the late 70's, Chopper motorcycles were the rage here. I was taking a welding class as part of my Sheet metal apprenticeship and decided to cut them up to make a stretched frame chopper bike for little brother #4. I have a picture of the chopper bike somewhere, I'll post it if I find it. I'd sure like to have that Stingray back.....🙄

Nothing too wild but when I sold this very nice original KS American in 2018, the buyer was telling me how he was going to repaint it, ugh. He swore up and down he could find custom-made decals despite the chainguard screen/decal being rare as hen's teeth and NLA from any vendor I'm aware of. Was really tempted to not sell it to him, hopefully he came to his senses...

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Back