When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950/51 Schwinn Continental - Large Frame (23") - Black

-
I am not so knowledgeable about early Continentals or the discussion on the CM designation....but could one possible answer be CM= Chrome Molybdenum? Did the T&C Tandem also use chrome moly tubing? If so, then the overlap of T-serialed shells, T&C frames and Continentals could be the use of chrome moly. Just a thought.... but of course, then T&C shells should also have the CM stamping. Nevermind.
A more pedestrian thought is CM=Continental Mens. (I'll go back to my Paramount/Superior corner now).

Ya and if that were the case a ladies continental would turn up with the CM stamp and I don't think that has ever happened. Also, there are some men's that don't have the CM stamp and some that do. There would need to be some significant reason for some postwar continentals to get the CM stamp and others to not get it. From what I can tell in the brochure, the tourist and the clubman continentals frames appear the exact same with the exception of swapped out parts to make one more of a road bike than the other. Something would have needed to be significant to the frame build to set them apart, and I don't know what that is. There are tourist setups, that appear to be born that way (example 1, example 2) that have CM stamps.

Maybe they were slated to be clubman but found the tourist model was more desired and converted them over to tourist setup. Maybe the dealer converted them. I have a price guide for these and both models are priced the same amount at $95.00.

The post-war Superior also sometimes shared bb shells with the tandem and Continental and, as far as I know, does not have the CM marking. The post-war Superior would have been a welded frame bike and not Cr-Mo, though it did sometimes share a bottom bracket with the Tandem and Continental. However, I don't think differentiating a Cr-Mo Continental frame from a welded Superior frame would have been a tough task, given the different sized tubing used.

Only unique thing I just saw while searching CM stamp images was the oil cap for the BB. Is that on Paramounts too? Wouldn't seem like that would need a designation though.
Would these cranks/chainring need a different offset or shell width maybe?
Possibly an apprentice in the shop proud of his initials?? Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just like continuing the discussion of these early Continentals.

@rennfaron , is there any way to date these Continentals with just the frame set and decals? Any changes over the 9-10 years they were produced? I started following all the T&C tandems 13 or so years ago for the simple reason of trying to date them. The BB shells were pre-stamped starting in 1949 and I found it odd that those tandem BB shells were used on the Continentals. At least the Continentals have a dated hub to give you an idea of when it was made. With the T&C's you have to date them with the paint, decals and components since the serial is totally worthless.
Here's a 1961 Town & Country with a T003646 serial number. Lower SN than your early 50's Conti!
hc-ouq1gza8zicax9ljqwv-_nc_ht-scontent-fphx1-2-jpg.jpg

hc-a5tx8lpoyroax-yxai3-_nc_ht-scontent-fphx1-1-jpg.jpg

I have not seen a difference in the decals from '46 to '51 (the latest I have seen a continental with that decal package). I have seen dated hubs on the later year ones. And the saddle, grip, brake, head badge seem to go unchanged through this period as well.

I am not so knowledgeable about early Continentals or the discussion on the CM designation....but could one possible answer be CM= Chrome Molybdenum? Did the T&C Tandem also use chrome moly tubing? If so, then the overlap of T-serialed shells, T&C frames and Continentals could be the use of chrome moly. Just a thought.... but of course, then T&C shells should also have the CM stamping. Nevermind.
A more pedestrian thought is CM=Continental Mens. (I'll go back to my Paramount/Superior corner now).
I think I've solved the riddle. Why did Schwinn share some of the tandem serial numbered BB shells with the Continentals? The BB shell is the same except for the Continentals downtube connecting location. The chain stays and the seat post were the same size and in the same location, but the tandem had a horizontal tube connecting in the center of the BB in line with the stays. The holes for these tubes were drilled separately when these shells were being made and this may have saved Schwinn some time and money. Therefor the Continental's Tandem BB shells were stamped CM. And since there were other lightweights early post war that had three piece cranks but the seat tube diameter was smaller than the Continentals, the regular serial series shells on the Conti may also have a CM stamping.
.................................... Continental Model ..........................

Last edited:
Ah, that's the best explanation that I have seen on the CM subject and it makes sense based on the various bikes that were built with that kind of shell.

Last edited:
I'm at the old place today...where my caliper is not at!...otherwise I would get some more precise measurements. The tandem BB shell is wider and smooth bore. The only hole that is drilled is for the fender mount.

PXL_20230606_211149574.jpg

PXL_20230606_210348773.jpg

PXL_20230606_210336716.jpg

The CM stamped Continental BB shell is more narrow and only has the hole drilled for the oil port. Oil port hole is drilled through the brazing(post weld). If I had time today, I'd say I'd take the Continentals apart, but I think they are smooth bore(no drain holes) too.
Anyone got a non CM stamped Conti or non CroMoly frame with threaded BB to measure?
PXL_20230606_210747838.jpg

PXL_20230606_211111200.jpg

I'm at the old place today...where my caliper is not at!...otherwise I would get some more precise measurements. The tandem BB shell is wider and smooth bore. The only hole that is drilled is for the fender mount.

View attachment 1850364

View attachment 1850365

View attachment 1850366

The CM stamped Continental BB shell is more narrow and only has the hole drilled for the oil port. Oil port hole is drilled through the brazing(post weld). If I had time today, I'd say I'd take the Continentals apart, but I think they are smooth bore(no drain holes) too.
Anyone got a non CM stamped Conti or non CroMoly frame with threaded BB to measure?

View attachment 1850367

View attachment 1850368
What year is that tandem, looks like it’s got a Candy paint job.

Back