When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OCC Schwinn rear brakes

-

ToonMan

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm working on my OCC Schwinn stingray. I've got some of the brake parts for the rear but I'm not sure I have all of them. Does anybody have a picture of what the brakes are supposed to look like when they are together?

Thank you

DSC00784.jpg

I'm working on my OCC Schwinn stingray. I've got some of the brake parts for the rear but I'm not sure I have all of them. Does anybody have a picture of what the brakes are supposed to look like when they are together?

Thank you

View attachment 1849878
You may want to post in muscle bike forum. You can also try asking over on the rat rod bike forum site. I feel like there are more guys working with these bikes over there. This is kinda a modern bike for this site. @Mr. Monkeyarms may have some experience with them.

I have not messed with this particular Stingray but imagine them to be similar to most coaster brake bikes currently made. Just a lot wider. 🤷‍♂️ Got a pic of the hub disassembled?

Well actually both arms are there. But there's nothing connecting them together and I've never messed with brakes like this

They actually have hand brakes in the rear. I have the arms but nothing else

View attachment 1850129
Not a very good photo of the "V" brake, but it looks like everything is there to me. One arm mounts the cable housing (ferrule) stop. and the other arm is the anchor for the pinch bolt. You even have the curved metal tube left on the cable housing. Look at mountain bike's for a reference. I would seriously doubt they would have made a "custom brake" for such a low production unit. It's just a common brake "re-purposed" by mounting it "inside" the chainstays.

John

Not a very good photo of the "V" brake, but it looks like everything is there to me. One arm mounts the cable housing (ferrule) stop. and the other arm is the anchor for the pinch bolt. You even have the curved metal tube left on the cable housing. Look at mountain bike's for a reference. I would seriously doubt they would have made a "custom brake" for such a low production unit. It's just a common brake "re-purposed" by mounting it "inside" the chainstays.

John
Okay I've got both of the arms and part of that cable but I have nothing that connects them together. And I've never operated brakes like this I mean I was looking at newer brakes that are set up you know v brake style like this but I don't know if they would get around that great big fat tire that's on the back of that thing. I'm at a loss. And I'm just asking for some assistance. Thank you for answering. In your opinion would this work?

Screenshot_20230606-085323.png

Back