When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OCC Schwinn rear brakes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Okay I've got both of the arms and part of that cable but I have nothing that connects them together. And I've never operated brakes like this I mean I was looking at newer brakes that are set up you know v brake style like this but I don't know if they would get around that great big fat tire that's on the back of that thing. I'm at a loss. And I'm just asking for some assistance. Thank you for answering. In your opinion would this work?

View attachment 1850285
It's only the cable that connects them together. Shown in your second photo.

John

Okay I've got both of the arms and part of that cable but I have nothing that connects them together. And I've never operated brakes like this I mean I was looking at newer brakes that are set up you know v brake style like this but I don't know if they would get around that great big fat tire that's on the back of that thing. I'm at a loss. And I'm just asking for some assistance. Thank you for answering. In your opinion would this work?

View attachment 1850285
Yes, that will work.
It is a standard V-brake style set-up.
The cable goes through the steel tube (noodle), through the rubber noodle boot and through the pinch bolt on the right side arm. The pic above is slightly confusing as it doesn't show the cable exiting the pinch bolt as it must.
The end of the steel tube (noodle) has a tit fitting that fits into a slotted hole in the steel swing arm part of the left arm. This way, it releases easily for tire change/ wheel removal and can be put back together without having to readjust anything.
If you look up mountain bike v-brake assembly on YouTube I'm sure you will find a video showing how it all goes together and comes apart.
Or you could find a mountain bike with these brakes (most of them) and see that way.

Last edited:
Look what was in the shop today.
Got some pics for you in case you aren't done yet. It is missing the rubber "noodle boot" that covers the cable between the arms. The boot isn't required, it just keeps dirt and moisture out of the wire channel.

IMG_20230608_124652640_MP.jpg

IMG_20230608_124658575.jpg

IMG_20230608_124644649.jpg

One other thing I might mention is those little screws at the bottom of the arms at the pivot attachment area.
Those are for side to side arm adjustment to get the pads an even distance from the rim on both sides.
They adjust the spring tension on each side.
Screw them in, the arm/ pad on that side moves out. Screw them out, the pad/ arm moves in.
But as you may imagine, since the wire connects the arms, moving one arm in or out, affects the other arm also.
It's a balance between the two.

Any halfway decent local bike shop will have what you are missing, which appears to be a cable and a boot. My experience with those bikes is that the V brake calipers they came with were quite crappy, and benefitted from replacing the cable and housing with better stuff, I remember that "schwinn" used crappy unlined housing and galvanized cables. YOU CAN"T REPLACE THE BRAKE CALIPER WITH THE ONE UNCLE JEFF IS SELLING, the arms will not be anywhere close to long enough to clear those big old tires, most standard V brakes measure around 100mm from bolt to cable anchor, OCC brakes are more like 150mm if memory serves.

The tricky bit of all of this being running the new housing through the frame, which I do in this order:
1. run the new cable through the old housing back to front.
2. pull the old housing off, leaving just the new cable in the frame routing.
3. carefully slide the new housing over the new cable front to back, taking care when you get near the entrance and exit, manipulating the cable as needed while avoiding putting a kink in it.
4. once routed, pull the cable out, trim housing as needed, install housing ends (ferrules) and hook the brake up.
5. at this point, you'll probably have to true the wheel, fiddle with the brake a bunch, ramp up the tension until you get a decent feel from the lever, and you'll still have a brake that only works OK.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me questions, I'm just a grouchy professional bike mechanic with a soft spot for Schwinns and cool old bikes, since it's what I grew up on. I actually sweet talked my local toys-r-us into selling me one of those OCC choppers a week before they were released, then had fun week riding around on what is objectively a pretty poorly made bike.

Any halfway decent local bike shop will have what you are missing, which appears to be a cable and a boot. My experience with those bikes is that the V brake calipers they came with were quite crappy, and benefitted from replacing the cable and housing with better stuff, I remember that "schwinn" used crappy unlined housing and galvanized cables. YOU CAN"T REPLACE THE BRAKE CALIPER WITH THE ONE UNCLE JEFF IS SELLING, the arms will not be anywhere close to long enough to clear those big old tires, most standard V brakes measure around 100mm from bolt to cable anchor, OCC brakes are more like 150mm if memory serves.

The tricky bit of all of this being running the new housing through the frame, which I do in this order:
1. run the new cable through the old housing back to front.
2. pull the old housing off, leaving just the new cable in the frame routing.
3. carefully slide the new housing over the new cable front to back, taking care when you get near the entrance and exit, manipulating the cable as needed while avoiding putting a kink in it.
4. once routed, pull the cable out, trim housing as needed, install housing ends (ferrules) and hook the brake up.
5. at this point, you'll probably have to true the wheel, fiddle with the brake a bunch, ramp up the tension until you get a decent feel from the lever, and you'll still have a brake that only works OK.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me questions, I'm just a grouchy professional bike mechanic with a soft spot for Schwinns and cool old bikes, since it's what I grew up on. I actually sweet talked my local toys-r-us into selling me one of those OCC choppers a week before they were released, then had fun week riding around on what is objectively a pretty poorly made bike.
You may want to actually read the entire thread before you respond.

Back