When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rules for Deal Or No Deal Auctions

-
Payment Terms
-
Shipping
-
Zipcode
na
New rule:

NO COMMENTARY
Do not post un-necessary comments. Keep them related to details about the item, payment, or shipping. Comment privileges are for seriously interested users only.​

@Dave Stromberger Not trying to ruffle any feathers here....but serious question since this rule was just added today, shortly after my comment was deleted.
My comment was to the seller, who initially thought was following all the rules (and he was), but second guessed himself after an offer was withdrawn after only 15 hours. All I did, was refer to the 24 hour rule (by directly quoting it) that confirmed he did, in fact, have 24 hours to reply to an offer. To be fair, there were some other comments deleted as well, although those were unrelated to this matter.

As such that this rule was just added today, after my comment was made and deleted, I was technically following the rules that were in place at the time I made the comment, because this rule did not exist then (I checked, it wasn't there at the time). I was surprised to have a moderator delete my comment, then refer to this brand new rule that was apparently "in the works" but not yet published. I don't believe I've seen retroactive rules on here before.

With that said, my question is, is it ok or is it not ok to confirm (by quoting or linking) the DOND rules if a question arises? I was just trying to help the guy out.

@Dave Stromberger Not trying to ruffle any feathers here....but serious question since this rule was just added today, shortly after my comment was deleted.
My comment was to the seller, who initially thought was following all the rules (and he was), but second guessed himself after an offer was withdrawn after only 15 hours. All I did, was refer to the 24 hour rule (by directly quoting it) that confirmed he did, in fact, have 24 hours to reply to an offer. To be fair, there were some other comments deleted as well, although those were unrelated to this matter.

As such that this rule was just added today, after my comment was made and deleted, I was technically following the rules that were in place at the time I made the comment, because this rule did not exist then (I checked, it wasn't there at the time). I was surprised to have a moderator delete my comment, then refer to this brand new rule that was apparently "in the works" but not yet published. I don't believe I've seen retroactive rules on here before.

With that said, my question is, is it ok or is it not ok to confirm (by quoting or linking) the DOND rules if a question arises? I was just trying to help the guy out.
Instead of quoting the DOND rules, it's better to just report it so a moderator can handle it.

As for the 24hr rule, that was implemented with the idea that if MORE than 24hrs passes and the seller didn't say "deal" that the bidder wouldn't be bound to it, because maybe he's moved on and bought something else by then. The idea is to keep the ball rolling and not let things get stale. However, I think it would be fair to allow someone to withdraw their offer at any time if they change their mind, as long as the seller hasn't accepted the offer yet. We're all still learning how to best manage DOND, so suggestions are welcome!

Instead of quoting the DOND rules, it's better to just report it so a moderator can handle it.

As for the 24hr rule, that was implemented with the idea that if MORE than 24hrs passes and the seller didn't say "deal" that the bidder wouldn't be bound to it, because maybe he's moved on and bought something else by then. The idea is to keep the ball rolling and not let things get stale. However, I think it would be fair to allow someone to withdraw their offer at any time if they change their mind, as long as the seller hasn't accepted the offer yet. We're all still learning how to best manage DOND, so suggestions are welcome!
Yes, it's ok to quote the DOND rules. It's good to have a reminder once in while.

Thank you for that clarification on the ability for us to quote the rules. I see you changed that before I had a chance to finish typing. I think the ability for members to quote the rules would be helpful from time to time, especially for new members that sometimes seem to have difficulty navigating the site. Especially in instances like this, when the seller was unsure and asked a question. I'm aware of the report feature but it didn't seem like it was warranted to bother you guys for stuff like this, when I was able to answer the question myself.

If I may make a suggestion, the first sentence of the 24 hour rule as it is currently written (copied below so anyone reading this later doesn't have to go back and look) seems to imply that a bid cannot be retracted within the first 24 hours. If that is not the case, then I feel that some clarification or rewording is needed there because it seems pretty cut and dry the way it currently is.

I for one, like the idea of an offer being a binding commitment from the buyer for the first 24 hours. I think that having that commitment will help eliminate "tire kickers" and time wasters. I also feel that this way is more fair to sellers, given the rest of the requirements of this rule. Otherwise, this rule would weigh heavily in favor of the buyer, and not really do anything to help the seller. Should be a two-way street, in my humble opinion.

TWENTY-FOUR HOURS
A potential buyer is only bound to their offer for 24 hours. If a seller accepts the offer after that period, completing the purchase is the discretion of the buyer.
Sellers are required to respond to the most recent bid within 24 hours.

Thank you for that clarification on the ability for us to quote the rules. I see you changed that before I had a chance to finish typing. I think the ability for members to quote the rules would be helpful from time to time, especially for new members that sometimes seem to have difficulty navigating the site. Especially in instances like this, when the seller was unsure and asked a question. I'm aware of the report feature but it didn't seem like it was warranted to bother you guys for stuff like this, when I was able to answer the question myself.

If I may make a suggestion, the first sentence of the 24 hour rule as it is currently written (copied below so anyone reading this later doesn't have to go back and look) seems to imply that a bid cannot be retracted within the first 24 hours. If that is not the case, then I feel that some clarification or rewording is needed there because it seems pretty cut and dry the way it currently is.

I for one, like the idea of an offer being a binding commitment from the buyer for the first 24 hours. I think that having that commitment will help eliminate "tire kickers" and time wasters. I also feel that this way is more fair to sellers, given the rest of the requirements of this rule. Otherwise, this rule would weigh heavily in favor of the buyer, and not really do anything to help the seller. Should be a two-way street, in my humble opinion.

TWENTY-FOUR HOURS
A potential buyer is only bound to their offer for 24 hours. If a seller accepts the offer after that period, completing the purchase is the discretion of the buyer.
There are a number of reasons why a bidder may want to retract a bid, and they should be free to do so, as long as the seller hasn't accepted their offer by posting "Deal". I know there are probably holes in that logic too.... the whole DOND idea is become pretty difficult to manage. It's pretty close to impossible to figure out all the possible ways something can go wrong. we have to keep this as simple as possible for sellers, bidder, and for moderators too.

TWENTY-FOUR HOURS

people get touchy when users try to moderate, it's best to just leave DOND auctions between bidders and seller, no reason to get involved if you’re not in the bidder pool, and if there is a discrepancy, let the moderators handle it.

306003668_514512994008683_1683858163127082166_n (2).jpg

What happened to the Flying Mercury that was in DOND today? I went back to bid on it and it was gone.

IMG_8627.png

Last edited:
Back