When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heavy Duti reflex

-

one-eyed sailor

Finally riding a big boys bike
I received an email from daBay telling me a Heavy Duti was listed for $91 local pickup near Fresno, CA.
My HD reflex kicked in and I hit the buy it now button without a clear plan on how to pick it up. I live about 700 miles away but my brother lives in Fresno and asked him to grab it for me. I knew it was a Taiwan bike that had spent a lot of time outside but didn't care.
Here are some listing photos:
s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I know that dating Pacific Schwinns is just a guess but there are some odd things (to me) about "Rusty".
Headbadge stamp is 1480 so I was thinking 2000, 2010? The serial is LS000856 on the bottom bracket which the Angelfire site dates as November 1981! That can't be possible, it has a Schwinn built in Taiwan sticker on it. It has a single speed freewheel and dual Dia-compe caliper brakes and levers, steel rims, "padded" grips, unicrown fork. Tires are in decent shape, no saddle.
I've scoured images and can't seem to nail it down, not that it really matters. I will clean it up as a rider for one of my grandkiddos but knowing a little bit more about would be great.

Thanks CABE!

With the head badge being stamped and with that number along with being a cantilever frame, I’m thinking that would be a 1990. The later ones had the angled straight bar like your other bomber. When you’re cleaning it up look for other date codes on the parts.

With the head badge being stamped and with that number along with being a cantilever frame, I’m thinking that would be a 1990. The later ones had the angled straight bar like your other bomber. When you’re cleaning it up look for other date codes on the parts.
Will do, thanks GT.
Edit: Do the brakes make sense for the period as well?

Last edited:
Hola to the group! @one-eyed sailor ,welcome to "the tribe of cabers" your bike is a model from the transition after the Chicago models, just check the details,of the fork,stem wheels etc! The angelfire,website is one of the few,that is more accurate, than others,and is only for the Schwinn bikes made in Chicago! That's why is your serial# don't fit,in their database! But the important,thing that really matters,you liked since the first time, so you got married at the first sight* cleaning new tires & tubes,fresh grease and enjoy the your ride!

Last edited:
These never had hand brakes as far as I know.
It's very unusual to see a front brake on that bike. I wonder if it's another case like this one?

Back