When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

37' Huffman Supreme... Complete

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
well, another Huffman fails to impress.
this is good and bad. bad because they deserve to pull down the big money like the other top bikes, good because it means that us regular collectors can still have a shot at owning one.
congrats to the winner, I can't wait to see it together again. ;)

Condition was poor and all apart like that didn't do it a service either, I actually thought the money was appropriate and a good deal for the buyer and seller.

The lesson learned is that the 38 from Trexlertown -> Copake wasn't a 4,600.00 bike, yes I prefer those curves to the firestone variant, but this one had a solid tank, more valuable than a crow's beak (with you can get repopped, unlike a tank)...same condition, difference is market value determined this one, Copake opened and closed at 4K hammer nolo contendere.

Still an awesome bike, but reality is reality.

Chris

I disagree, I think this proves the Copake bike was a much more rare and valuable bike than this one.
I wasn't surprised by the price of either auction, they both went as I expected them to.
If you are looking for an original one in better condition than this one, you'll be waiting a very long time, this one is as good as I've ever seen one come.
auctions are always right, they reflect more than one person willing to throw down for an item. where it ends up is just above the second high bidder.

Was there a second highest bidder at Copake for the 38 SS?
I was there with a wad of money in my pocket for that bike and to my witness, the answer was no.
It was possible more than one absentee bid set the 4K, but I am skeptical... moreso from buzz and hype.

In my opinion, a curved downtube isn't justification for a 2,600 differential all else pretty equivalent, but as long as the buyer is happy...

Chris

In my opinion, the Copake bike should have been a $2.500.00 dollar bike and this one should have been a $1,500.00 dollar bike.

Both bikes were in marginal condition and missing some key stuff that is not likely to be found anytime soon.

The big deal is that they were both in original condition, and that is huge! In the case of the Copake bike. It may be the only curved downtube model known to exist that still has its original paint.

That is not the case with the Firestone, but it may be possible to count the remaining original conditon Firestones on one or both hands.

When numbers get that low, any original condition becomes a big deal.

It take two to Tango, and yes both auctions had to have underbidders to drive the final sales price where it lands. Nobody wants to pay a premium for the stuff they buy. But, sometimes when something becomes so rare and one becomes available. It is going to be hotly contested for.

I thought that this auction was going to go higher than it did. Original condition Firestone Fleetwood Supremes don't just pop up every day. Neither do their chainguards. If the chainguard had been present in this auction, I bet it would have sold for at least $3,500.00

I don't think those chainguards are worth $1,500.00 dollars, anymore than a curved downtube is worth $2,600.00 but their presence or lack there of,sure dictated that price in these cases.

So...

All comparison set aside between this and copake, I just want to know one thing.
Who one this and whoever it may be, please don't make
Me regret sharing this on the forum by parting it
Out. But seriously who won!!!!
Congrats to whoever got it.

Judd

All comparison set aside between this and copake, I just want to know one thing.

Judd

I know who won, and you can rest easy, it's in good hands. if he wants everyone to know who he is, I'm sure he'll post. it's a CABE member.

Judd

Rest assured, it won't get parted out.

My first thought upon seeing this auction, was to try and get the tank and rack for the Copake bike. Both bikes are in such similar condition, that I figured I could place hang the rack and tank on the Copake bike. Now that the reality of winning the auction has set in, I'm going to build both bikes faithfully to themselves. The missing pieces for both bikes will just have to be added when they can.
One bike is a 38 Huffman LaFrance and one bike is a 37 Huffman Firestone Fleetwood Supreme. Similar and yet subtley different. So no mixing and matching. Each bike will remain as original as possible. If these were Schwinns, I could easily obtain every missing part in matching condition in a fairly short amount of time. But, since they are Huffmans, some of the parts may take a very long time to find if at all.
I will be on the hunt for a black Firestone chain guard in a condition 4/5. And for the LaFrance, an original chrome 3 rib zephyr tank in similar condition. There are quite a few other missing bits, but for now, I'll start with those.
So, keep your eyes peeled guys, and let me know if you ever see either of these pieces become available.

Thanks, to the Cabe community. I really appreciate all of the conversation and opinions.

These bikes will be re assembled as carefully and accurately as possible.

nice

I offered more to stop the auction ,, .. I am glad they did not accept my offer ,, this huffman has found the proper home ,just like the copake huffman ,,.. looking forward to seeing these 2 examples in a photo or at a cycle show ,,. walter branche

Back