When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare 1961 Schwinn Panther III Half Tank. Part II

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@Scribble First, Welcome to the CABE. and make the CABE a home; Read much; Listen. You need to check and post what @GTs58 asked... also, your serial number from the frame; this enables old timers to help you. * I don't understand your attitude with the S-7 rims; they are about the strongest and most durable ever used on any Bicycle. Perhaps it's that you don't understand tire width? S-7s required a tire with a fractional width, not a decimal width designation; i.e., 1 3/4 not 1.75. **Always find and verify your year model using your serial number. ***Always check Schwinn catalogs; several different types... customer catalogs, dealer listings... all available for your year, etc., are often easy to find on the web. ****Finally, the Panther III was a two year run; 1961-1962. It came with chrome S-7 rims [not drop centered enameled with a RED pin], with the following hub choices: ^Coaster brake [was a Bendix Red Band (RB) with splined Sprocket... not an RB 2 with three tab sprocket (mid-1963 on) and definitely not a West German built Komet or Schwinn approved of same (these were good dependable hubs; but never attached to top-of-the line bikes... and in the early 1960s Schwinn was on a Quest to push 'American Made')... also note 1962 Panther III catalog entry in the expanded equipment dialog about the coaster brake says: 'American Made']; ^^Bendix Automatic 2-speed [with three red bands]; and, ^^^The 3-speed [Sturmey-Archer]. Where are your $300.00-$400.00 dollar headlamps?

@Scribble First, Welcome to the CABE. and make the CABE a home; Read much; Listen. You need to check and post what @GTs58 asked... also, your serial number from the frame; this enables old timers to help you. * I don't understand your attitude with the S-7 rims; they are about the strongest and most durable ever used on any Bicycle. Perhaps it's that you don't understand tire width? S-7s required a tire with a fractional width, not a decimal width designation; i.e., 1 3/4 not 1.75. **Always find and verify your year model using your serial number. ***Always check Schwinn catalogs; several different types... customer catalogs, dealer listings... all available for your year, etc., are often easy to find on the web. ****Finally, the Panther III was a two year run; 1961-1962. It came with chrome S-7 rims [not drop centered enameled with a RED pin], with the following hub choices: ^Coaster brake [was a Bendix Red Band (RB) with splined Sprocket... not an RB 2 with three tab sprocket (mid-1963 on) and definitely not a West German built Komet or Schwinn approved of same (these were good dependable hubs; but never attached to top-of-the line bikes... and in the early 1960s Schwinn was on a Quest to push 'American Made')... also note 1962 Panther III catalog entry in the expanded equipment dialog about the coaster brake says: 'American Made']; ^^Bendix Automatic 2-speed [with three red bands]; and, ^^^The 3-speed [Sturmey-Archer]. Where are your $300.00-$400.00 dollar headlamps?

I don't know if your trying to be sarcastic or helpful?

Also this is not my bike it's a friends bike that I'm rebuilding, so I'm on a budget so there is no way in hell I'm spending $400 on a head light. I know all that info I read the same Schwinn catalog page as you. Thats why the title says Rare 1961 Schwinn. Also I know that Komet Super wheel set is not original to the bike but they %100 nicer then the crappy Chinese wheel set that was on there. And from my experience most not bike related people do not like S-7s for one reason only.

say you buy a set of new 26inch tires and they don't fit, why they ask me for the 100th time it's because there S-7s well whats an S-7 they ask me, well its a size of tire only Schwinn used you're going to have to order some online. And then I always get the question can I just replace the S-7 rims and I say yes you can. Now me personally I don't mind S-7s as you can see my 58 Hornet has some, now my personal option of S-7s are that there stupid, what designer in there right mind would make something so not user friendly is beyond me.

Also I might be young but I've been in the hobby for five years, if I need help I ask for it. With this particular bike I know what I'm dealing with.
Using the Schwinn serial number look up tool does not take a rocket scientist to work out.
And this particular bike has long since lost it's S-7 Wheel set they where not with the bike when I got it.
And thanks for the Welcome

Last edited:
Was trying to be helpful; I've spent many years trying to put things back to what they once were; and, to have them gain value by my work. I remember when this bike was new; I could not afford it! Your clean up looked good. Welcome to the CABE!

Was trying to be helpful; I've spent many years trying to put things back to what they once were; and, to have them gain value by my work. I remember when this bike was new; I could not afford it! Your clean up looked good. Welcome to the CABE!

Awesome thank you very much, sorry if I came off snippy it's really hard to gauge where a person is coming from with just text :D.

I'm calling this one done, had a super fun time breathing some life back it to this sweet ride :cool2:.
img_9405-jpg.jpg

img_9406-jpg.jpg

img_9409-jpg.jpg

img_9412-jpg.jpg

img_9415-jpg.jpg

img_9416-jpg.jpg

img_9414-jpg.jpg

img_9421-jpg.jpg

Back