When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Working Small

-

Gladiron

Look Ma, No Hands!
Any of us with hobbies at home that require tools and materials, know that sometimes things can get a little out of hand. Especially when it comes to our obsession with bicycles. For me, any given project will result in tools and stuff left either in my studio, garage, porch, carport or patio. I can spend more time retracing my steps looking for that tool or part than actually doing something constructive.
So I decided to consolidate all my bikey stuff in one location on our property.
20170617_210848.jpg

Los Angeles is home to one of the worlds biggest shipping ports therefore a surplus of spent shipping containers abound. I found a company that repurposes used containers and makes dry storage units of varying sizes. New roll-front doors are installed with welds and the entire unit is caulked and painted inside and out. I opted for the smallest unit because it had to be delivered by the smallest truck they had that would fit onto our property. An 8’x8‘x10’ unit weighs about a ton and is weather proof and fire proof. This is perfect for all my welding and grinding.
20170222_112149.jpg

20170222_112812.jpg

20170722_095826.jpg

I added a layer of flame proof cement fiberboard to cover the original marine plywood floor.
20170722_095405.jpg

I’m able to keep all my mechanic tools and metal working equipment in one location. No more running around looking for tools and parts. I store all my completed bikes in the garage right next to my new container shop.
20170722_115724.jpg

I’m happy, my wife is relieved and it doesn’t look too bad. I even poured a little concrete patio for a chill spot, planted some trees and shrubs and graveled transitions to hide the busted concrete where we had a swimming pool removed.
This could be the answer for not just home shops, but for temporary commercial developments on a small scale in many neighborhoods.
Bront G.

Last edited:
Nice. Been contemplating that idea for over a year now but everything I have in a 20' x 32' toy storage condo just wouldn't fit.

That looks great, and a nice size too. What does something like that cost? was it less than a wooden shed?
Thanks, Shawn

That looks great, and a nice size too. What does something like that cost? was it less than a wooden shed?
Thanks, Shawn

Was $1800 + 300 for delivery. I figured a ton of steel alone would cost more. The fact that it's fire proof, made it the only reasonable choice since I do some welding from time to time and I live in the fire prone foothills of North LA County. I'm thinking of getting another one if I can get rid of my Scout.

Was $1800 + 300 for delivery. I figured a ton of steel alone would cost more. The fact that it's fire proof, made it the only reasonable choice since I do some welding from time to time and I live in the fire prone foothills of North LA County. I'm thinking of getting another one if I can get rid of my Scout.
Thanks for sharing. I think that is a good price and I like the roll up door.

$2200.00 !! I built an 8 x 10 office in my shop, freestanding so I can take it with me it if I move. only cost about $800.00.... but I have lots of time and not so much money.

Back