When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old man needs learnin'...Torrington pedals

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
p7100008_01-jpg.jpg

p7100007_01-jpg.jpg

So the 9's and 10's are marked as such, but the eights are not? Do I have it correct. Thanks for info.
@morton , @rustjunkie , @vincev ,The answer is: 'well. sort of like that'! Then Rustjunkie/ Scott Allison made our day with the post of a photo of pair of Torrington 8 pedals. I am very grateful to Scott for this illustrative photo; as, I have none that nice and clear. Tonight I will prepare photos and text, to give you the 'rest of the story'.

I have several 8, several 9, several 10 pedals that I have studied. You, Morton are close, very close in your grasp of the thread. However, the 8 are different than the 9 and 10 in one area; when you put your curser on the photo of my personal #9 pedals and click, it will enlarge. More easily you will see "the Torrington Co." and "Made in U.S.A." on the face plate between the pin heads and the center dome. this is how all 9 and 10are marked. Now, look @ rustjunkie's photo, and those details are missing on the faceplate; on all number 8; the missing designation of manufacture and country, are on the opposite face plate, between the pedal block pin retaining nuts and the center circle through which the axle threads protrude.
photo 2.JPG

This is the inner face plate. On the one labelled 8, @ top is "The Torrington Co." I know it's a poor example, click on photo to enlarge. For sure @ bottom you can see "Made in U.S.A." The 9 and 10 pedal piece has NO writing.

Next photo will illustrate blocks, for each 8, 9, 10, Torrington Pedal. These may or may not be original Torrington pedal blocks, although I got these from Torrington pedals. The number 10 examples are surely replacement blocks. Length is called 4" for 8 and 10 pedals, 3 1/2" length for 9 pedals. Width is called 3/4" for 8 and 9 pedals; 1" width for 10 pedals.
photo 3.JPG

NOW: and not to confuse you; I will share a variety of a number 8 Torrington, which I found. I have several ideas that may explain the existence of such.
photo 1.JPG
At top of photo, the front face plate Torrington circle reads horizontal, not the normal vertical. At bottom of photo, the read for the inner face plate of this number 8 pedal is still verticle, but only the word "Torrington" appears above center; and, below center it says "Made in U.S.A." WHY? Later variety; Machine for making plate was changed or renewed; maybe this pedal was supplied to a bike manufacture, and one company or the other, supplier or user had particular ideas about "Brand" protection. ???

Last edited:
I have found several old posts about Torrington pedals. @old hotrod has been a large contributor. He has stated that even numbered Torrington pedals are boy pedals (4" long); odd numbered Torrington pedals are girl pedals, ~3 1/2" long. I found other items; I also saw that number four Torrington pedals were (TOC style) rat-trap pedals. Number 11 Torrington pedals were like the boy number 10 pedals with 1" wide blocks; but, they are girl pedals (~3 1/2" long blocks). If you are confused about a pedal being a 6 or a 9... the dash that separates the initial 'T' and the final 'N' in the circular Torrington inscription on the pedal face plate, also serves as the 'ground' line for the number in the center of the pedal dome. I.e.: 6 or 9.

Would you like to see Torrington number 17 pedals? Check the photos in posts #1 and #6 of this link:https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1939-shelby-airflow-restoration-update-part-1.114259/#post-757072

@saladshooter , Thank You for the 'heads-up! The odd numbers equal girls and even equal boys theory (may have been so, numbers up to 11/12) seems not true in light of this advertisement for #15 and #17 pedals.

Last edited:
I like the pictures that you took off of Daniels page off eBay .. Scott here's some more info that they didn't give you the inside plate that has the Torrington made in the US is postwar ones that are prewar are not stamped from the inside there are blank

Back