When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 Model C. Clunker

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was able to put the chain on and ride the bike for the first time. The rear brakes are not performing as well as I thought. They are not grabbing.

You can improve the function of your rear brake by installing cable housing stops on the frame. By shortening the amount of cable housing between the brake lever you will remove sponginess. It will also work better if you have a very stiff lever, Magura or Tomaselli.

Cool, finished this one a while ago. Opted to keep things looking, well, clunky during the restore.

21317630_1568490226542346_8619845259736689804_n.jpg

The rear brakes are not performing as well as I thought. They are not grabbing.

I'd give it a few rides and see if performance increases. Brake shoes sometimes need a few rides or more before they get grabby. Might also have oil residue that needs to wear away.

Cool, finished this one a while ago. Opted to keep things looking, well, clunky during the restore.

View attachment 724234
I wanted to buy a painted frame. But this frame that I bought was stripped. The the original paint, would have shown more character. And the type of life that it had. As you can see, yours has a story. Nice build. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
I'd give it a few rides and see if performance increases. Brake shoes sometimes need a few rides or more before they get grabby. Might also have oil residue that needs to wear away.
You might be right. I will give sometime to seat in.
When it was taken apart. I used "brake clean" to be sure there was no grease when I was assembling the brake.
I emailed someone that has a lot of experience with this brake. He responded, maybe I needed a Brake job. (More fabric on the shoes). When I was installing the cable. The actuating leaver on the hub, had a lot of travel before the brakes began grab. And I am beginning to think he is right. He also said to take the rim/hub to a motorcycle shop that works on the old drum brakes. And they might be able to help me. Thank you for your help

Last edited:
So I received my derailleur in the mail. I started to put the acorn nut on the bolt and found it was stripped. So, I wasn't very happy. But I understand that it is used. And this kinda thing can happen. I went to the hardware store and bought a new acorn nut. It works well enough. I got to the bike and installed it. My bike is nearly complete. . I only rode the bike once. And it was in a one speed configuration. It rode nicely. But I have to do the final adjustments to get the real feel of the bike. And then install the B.F Goodrich badge.

Last edited:
After being sick, and having family over for Christmas. I had a chance to ride the bike.
I am surprised that the shifting systems work as well as they do. The alignment of the front crank (sprockets) with the derailleurs and the six speed freewheel. Went as well as it did. Soon, I will take it to the Tehachapi bike shop. The rear drum brake? It still isn't working as well as liked. But I am no rush. It will stop me on a bike ride. But, it won't, if I am going down a hill. I am looking for a motorcycle shop now. That can work with me.

I have found that using STI derailleur cable housing improves braking power. The inner wires under the outer cover are linear instead of spiral wound like regular cable housing which compresses under load.

Back