When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

US042

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,
I am restoring(slowly :rolleyes:) a 1943 Columbia. I have located a supplier of the 11g spokes but was wondering did the Military bikes have longer nipples? and if so does anyone know of a supplier for them?.

Thanks in advance,
Brett.

Hi Brett,

sorry for the late reply, I was working away.

Below are pictures of the rear wheel and nipples of my 1943 Columbia as found. I hope this gives you an idea. Also, they were made from mild steel.

Best Regards,

Adrian

1943 Westfield Columbia Rear Wheel 01B.jpg

1943 Westfield Columbia Rear Wheel Spokes 01.jpg

1943 Westfield Columbia Rear Wheel Spokes 03.jpg

Hi Adrian,
Awesome. Thanks very much for the pictures they are of great help and many thanks for taking the time to reply Adrian.
Regards,
Brett.

Original brass nipples on my 1942 Huffman G519 front wheel protrude about 11/16 from the rim...

Nipple.jpg

Last edited:
On my 1943 Columbia they are made of steel and only 9/16 long from the rim; also slightly different design...
These are original nipples but not Original to this bicycle...

Merry Christmas

Nipple.jpg

On my 1943 Columbia they are made of steel and only 9/16 long from the rim; also slightly different design...
These are original nipples but not Original to this bicycle...

Merry Christmas

View attachment 728003
Hi Johan,
Many thanks for your reply. I don't know why but I had a strange idea the nipples were longer but your dimensions/pictures certainly help clear that up. I didn't know there were brass nipples as well - I only ever thought steel was what was used. Must be an early war thing?. Many thanks again.

Merry Christmas to you too and a happy prosperous new year.
Regards,
Brett.

Back