When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin Cardinal Stem Removal - Help Please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
No.. go back and read it again... I think its something about the combination of the two that works. When the PB Blaster by itself doesn`t do the job-- Let it soak, then try the Pinesol -Cowboy

How old is your bottle? The reason I ask is because the manufacturer, apparently, stopped putting pine oil in Pine Sol since 2014. Now it's just fragrance.

How old is your bottle? The reason I ask is because the manufacturer, apparently, stopped putting pine oil in Pine Sol since 2014. Now it's just fragrance.
I haven`t checked the ingredients... New Bottle...----Cowboy
Still trying to figure out why it works... Maybe it just washes out the rust and dirt that`s hanging on and provides even more lubricant, or maybe in a tight crack such as around a stem or seat post -it pushes the PB or WD further into the rusted/ locked area. Don`t know...
Still when You get it to break loose- it`s still the normal amount of hard work to get it out...
I look forward to more of You Guys trying it and letting me know if it worked for You or not...
I do think that on Kato`s Bike or any other- You`ve got to get the bottom wedge to drop down first- or it will never come out...

Last edited:
I just finished an old bottle of Pine sol.... it crystalized at the bottom. weird.

The dollar store carries this knock-off brand that needs tried. If it works, the stuff just might be the cheapest rust-buster available. If it doesn't...well, my toilet can use some scrubbin'.

992141.jpg

The dollar store carries this knock-off brand that needs tried. If it works, the stuff just might be the cheapest rust-buster available. If it doesn't...well, my toilet can use some scrubbin'.

View attachment 704753
I also use it to wash up rusty parts, and fenders and frames. Start with a five gallon bucket -half full of water--add some Pinesol and Dawn Dish Washing Liquid (the Blue Kind) and use a big Stainless Steel or Copper Scrubbing Pad. This will remove loose rust, and loose paint, especially repaint. What appears to be a rusty part to begin with- this will sometimes take it back down to original paint- where You could see no color before. -----Cowboy And, "NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR THE PINESOL COMPANY..."

I've got the stem soaking in Kroil again and I have a bottle of PineSol ready to go.
Sorry for the delay - lots going on....some serious family health issues taking up some of my extra weekend time.

So...did this stem ever come loose? I'm just itching to know.

Well, I tried 1 more time and got to the point where I was ticked off and worried I was going to ruin or break something.
I went to Plan B and took it to a local bike shop / collector and left it with him. He soaked it for about a week and got it out.
He said he rigged up 2 x 4's to the forks and put it in a really big vice and had another guy start working the stem with a bar every so often.........20 mins later it broke loose.
After hearing what he did and knowing he knew what he was doing I'm really glad I went to Plan B
While he had the bike he did a couple other things and the bike is now back home in the stand.

I'm hoping to get back at it this weekend and need to get an update on the routered rims ( not the originals ) I'm having done.

Thanks to all for the info and advice
Kato

Back