When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring a 1979 Spitfire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks Danny, I will definitely post some pictures when I'm finished. I stripped the bike down last weekend took the bottom brackets out and all the headset and everything and I watched a few videos on YouTube regarding how to take the kickstand off by using a crescent wrench slit over the top of the kickstand tried that with no luck I thought the little plug on the bottom of the kickstand bracket would slide right out like the videos but having trouble getting that little sucker out

Not my listing, but pick up a pair of these while you can. These shorter Schwinn block letter decals for the TT aren't as easy to find as the feather script used in other years.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=282512867767

And for my sixpence, just powder it. You'll be looking at about $100 and you'll never have to worry about it again, especially if black was your color of choice. It's just a '79 Spit, not something overly collectible (still have the '79 I got a as a 6th grade graduation present and will be going through it this spring so I'm in the same boat) so just build it your way and love it all the more. Cover the bars with Grab-on, pop on some BMX forks and bunny pegs and it's off to the beach :) If this were some pristine, unrestored, 'as-new' basement find yeah, preserve it, but that's not what your bike looks like to me. These are the Chevy small block of beach cruisers, a zillion of them out there, enjoy your build with no regrets.

My Jr. High work truck, circa 1981- (CBR forks and Team Schwinn cranks would find their way onto it soon after this pic, but I don't have a pic of it in the that configuration)
Cruiser.jpeg

View attachment 739802 Spitfire’s not collectible?? Might want to check out how many are for sale and if they are how much people want for them.
I never really felt like they were plentiful. But the more I have gotten into these late 70’s spitfires and early 80’s cruisers, the more I’ve realized how scarce nice ones are. People who have them, have many and hoard lots of parts. They don’t typically like to let anything go either. Finding a chainguard in any color has proved to be quite a task. These bikes are, without a doubt, very collectible in my opinion.

In order to get the pin to come out, attach a small pair of vise grips to the pin. The extra weight should make it drop out.

Hey Danny so I thought it over and I decided to stay with the original paint. I went ahead and rebadged it minus the seat tube badge. The original one is still there and has a good faded look. So me and my 5yr old daughter took a few days and tore it down and parts dipped ever part and regreased it. Next weekend I'll try my shot at some polish on the frame.

IMG_20180123_171921407.jpg

Hey Danny so I thought it over and I decided to stay with the original paint. I went ahead and rebadged it minus the seat tube badge. The original one is still there and has a good faded look. So me and my 5yr old daughter took a few days and tore it down and parts dipped ever part and regreased it. Next weekend I'll try my shot at some polish on the frame.

View attachment 742690
From that picture, the paint looks like it's in pretty good shape, certainly better than some I've seen. Some polish will do wonders for that bike! And there are people on here who can really make them shine!

Not my listing, but pick up a pair of these while you can. These shorter Schwinn block letter decals for the TT aren't as easy to find as the feather script used in other years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Frame-Sticker-Decal-Pair-White-for-Bikes-Water-Application-6-75-x-1-in/282512867767?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And for my sixpence, just powder it. You'll be looking at about $100 and you'll never have to worry about it again, especially if black was your color of choice. It's just a '79 Spit, not something overly collectible (still have the '79 I got a as a 6th grade graduation present and will be going through it this spring so I'm in the same boat) so just build it your way and love it all the more. Cover the bars with Grab-on, pop on some BMX forks and bunny pegs and it's off to the beach :) If this were some pristine, unrestored, 'as-new' basement find yeah, preserve it, but that's not what your bike looks like to me. These are the Chevy small block of beach cruisers, a zillion of them out there, enjoy your build with no regrets.

My Jr. High work truck, circa 1981- (CBR forks and Team Schwinn cranks would find their way onto it soon after this pic, but I don't have a pic of it in the that configuration)
View attachment 739579
Are those anodized aluminum rims? I'd call that a hot rod!

Back