When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Taylor Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
and off the top of my head an Alcyon, Labor, I think a Peugeot and a Comet. Taylor raced on lots of bikes. I'm not sure if he rode a Munger when he was being trained by Munger himself. Need to go over this stuff and refresh my memory.

I have a first edition “Major Taylor” by Ritchie (1988).
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 8.11.36 AM.png

On page 240, there is mention that Taylor consulted with Louis Munger about writing a book.
I don’t have a copy so I went online:
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 7.30.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 8.04.08 AM.png

Major Taylor pays homage to Louis D. “Birdie” Munger:
Dedication.png

Here are excerpts where Taylor makes mention of a bicycle built by Munger.
Chapter .png

Chapter lll.png

Last edited:
I'm currently reading "Major Taylor: The Inspiring Story of a Black Cyclist and the Men who Helped Him" (Kerber & Kerber). I believe they drew heavily on Taylor's autobiography ("The Fastest Bicycle Rider in the World") but certainly are able to add a perspective that Taylor couldn't (or wouldn't). Interestingly it does mention quite a few of the bikes he rode including some he borrowed for races due to his machine being delayed or lost. It does say he rode a Munger "Birdie Special" when he was with Munger. Of real interest though was the reference to the IJ bikes and that some of these were sold with Major Taylor on the head tube. I would assume this was something akin to a Pierce Frank Kramer Special. The pics of him on an IJ show the typical IJ badge. Has anyone ever seen an IJ Major Taylor bicycle? On a side note because he did spend a lot of time in Europe and Australia it seems it might be worthwhile searching the French, German, and Australian Ebay sites for Taylor memorabilia. V/r Shawn

I've been searching those sites overseas for yrs with no luck. I would love to find a Munger for the collection though which I have never seen. There are so many TOC racers that I'm looking for but they seem to have all disappeared as they weren't around very long as not many were made.

I think Tigercat is a Major Taylor collector and maybe he has some photos in his collection of a Taylor IJ that you're talking about.

I did not know that Freqman1,
This has got to be, without a doubt, the "Holy Grail", to any Iver Johnson collector. An Iver Johnson racing bike with Major Taylor on the headtube......................,You've got to be kidding me ! Pete in Fitchburg

So, forgive me for asking @66TigerCat, does such evidence for this mythical 'IJ' machine exist?
Also, forgive my own ignorance fellow Cabers, just when approximately, did the eponymous handlebar stem get its' name?
Was is it advertised as such while he raced?
Was he remunerated for it?
Just curious to know.

So, forgive me for asking @66TigerCat, does such evidence for this mythical 'IJ' machine exist?
Also, forgive my own ignorance fellow Cabers, just when approximately, did the eponymous handlebar stem get its' name?
Was is it advertised as such while he raced?
Was he remunerated for it?
Just curious to know.
Interesting. I read the Kerber book and don't recall reading about the special MT model Iver. That doesn't mean much, I can't remember what I had for breakfast :grimacing:. I believe he only raced for them for a short time so if there were any it was probably a short run. Hens teeth, for sure.

The "Major Taylor" stem became popular around the turn of the century. I don't believe it was Taylor's design but he certainly popularized it's use. I think his name was used more as a description for that syle of stem sort of the way we call facial tissue Kleenex, or bandage a Band-Aid. I tried to find a patent for it but was unsuccessful.

Interesting. I read the Kerber book and don't recall reading about the special MT model Iver. That doesn't mean much, I can't remember what I had for breakfast :grimacing:. I believe he only raced for them for a short time so if there were any it was probably a short run. Hens teeth, for sure.

The "Major Taylor" stem became popular around the turn of the century. I don't believe it was Taylor's design but he certainly popularized it's use. I think his name was used more as a description for that syle of stem sort of the way we call facial tissue Kleenex, or bandage a Band-Aid. I tried to find a patent for it but was unsuccessful.

In the Kerber book look at pgs 36 (3rd para), 59 (2nd para), 60 (2nd para), 66 (1st para), and 69 (3rd para) for reference to the Munger "Birdie Special". It looks like this bike was likely only built in 1895-6 and according to pg 36 had a "silver emblem featuring an owl on the front". P254 (3rd full para) for Major Taylor IJ (1902). V/r Shawn

Back