When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single-bar what? Columbia maybe?

-

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hey everybody I'm wondering what kind of bike I have here. I was thinking Columbia because of the chainring but couldn't find anything like this in my research. Under the loud over paint are a few spots of purple/pink. There was no headbadge but I have a pic of the serial number. I really like the style of this bike. Great candidate for a new paint job when I get the time. Thanks for any help.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not a Columbia. Frame, fork, dropouts and serial number all wrong for Westfield/Columbia. It has similar lines to the mid century Speedliner but that was a lightweight, not balloon tire model.

Not a Columbia. Frame, fork, dropouts and serial number all wrong for Westfield/Columbia. It has similar lines to the mid century Speedliner but that was a lightweight, not balloon tire model.

Actually, Columbia did make a Speedliner with balloon tires. (See attached 1954 ad) At least in 1954, maybe other years around then too. I've owned a 54 balloon tire Speedliner for over twenty years. But I agree the bike in question is not Columbia built. Frame construction is completely different in how it was manufactured.
image.jpeg

The bike in question was manufactured by Monark. They also had a single bar model in 55 and later, but that bike was a middleweight. If you look at the chipped paint you can see the original fuchsia paint underneath (a metallic purple color). That paint was used on the 55 models. (See attached 1955 Monark ad). The fork and fenders are not Monark and have been changed.
Even though the 55s were middleweight bikes, Monark was still using up balloon tire frames which is why the rear part of the frame will accommodate a balloon tire. That's why the fork was changed when the bike was rebuilt as a ballooner. I also have a 55 Monark single bar, although the fuchsia paint is all gone and replaced by rust. I also put balloon tires on it.
IMG_20171109_212837.jpg

Actually, Columbia did make a Speedliner with balloon tires. (See attached 1954 ad) At least in 1954, maybe other years around then too. I've owned a 54 balloon tire Speedliner for over twenty years. But I agree the bike in question is not Columbia built. Frame construction is completely different in how it was manufactured.View attachment 742147

The bike in question was manufactured by Monark. They also had a single bar model in 55 and later, but that bike was a middleweight. If you look at the chipped paint you can see the original fuchsia paint underneath (a metallic purple color). That paint was used on the 55 models. (See attached 1955 Monark ad). The fork and fenders are not Monark and have been changed.
Even though the 55s were middleweight bikes, Monark was still using up balloon tire frames which is why the rear part of the frame will accommodate a balloon tire. That's why the fork was changed when the bike was rebuilt as a ballooner. I also have a 55 Monark single bar, although the fuchsia paint is all gone and replaced by rust. I also put balloon tires on it.View attachment 742148
Thanks for the info and taking the time to look at this. I appreciate it. Those ads are really cool.
Bob

Hey @cds2323 thanks for the help. Looking through my Monark book I found this. The single bar model has the same model number as stamped before the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket on my bike. I'm learning a lot. Thanks for the help everybody.
image.jpg

Back