When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Schwinn

-

Sigh1961

Finally riding a big boys bike
I don't have any pictures of me on my one and only Schwinn that I ever owned. It was a 67 fastback 5 speed with a stick shift. I begged my mom to buy it for me for my 11th birthday in 1972. We bought it from a kid in the neighborhood named Donnie Horkstrom. He was older and wanted a 10 speed. I don't know what we paid for it, but it was a great looking bike. I think I had it for about a month, then one of my older brothers borrowed it and rode it to the pool hall. Never saw it again. They said it was stolen, but I think they sold it to buy pot. Whenever I bring it up, they have no memory of it. Here is a picture of a similar one. The only difference is mine had a sissy bar that was as high as the back of my head.
100_27952.jpg

My best friend had a gold single speed stingray, and we had contest to see who could ride the longest wheelie.

My first Bike was a Schwinn, a 1948 DX 24" Red/Ivory (Model BOCX). See photo of me in 1948 and my restored 24" (not the same bike) equipped just like my original. I remember and have photo documentation that it came equipped with the following: Bendix Coaster Brake, 1/2 pitch chain, S2 Painted Rims, Lobdell Compression Spring Saddle (the first thing to fail), Medium size Coke Bottle Grips and the New Style Chain Guard. A year or two later it would have been called a Spitfire.

1948EH-rt2.jpg
8C05657m.jpg

My uncle had the same fastback. He said he traded some other dudes some pot he had for it at a pool hall... just kidding. Cool bike though. Fastbacks are great

when i was about 11 years old my dads boss gave me his sons orange schwinn varsity. I rode it a few years before i started to drive a car.

vvvvvvvv.jpg

Back