When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off Center Head Badge

-
While I'm at it, what was the original head light on this bike? Does anybody have some good pictures?

Nice find!

From the 1955 Fair Trade bulletin:

"Dynohub front generator set on Traveler - substitute for Miller or Melos (sp. ?) Generator set - $6.95 - Schwinn part number 8906"

..not sure if first digit is an 8...

1955.jpg

Here is a pic of a 1955 Hercules with a SA Dynohub set up. If Schwinn used their entire system then perhaps this is the lamp you are seeking?
Hercules_-_Wonder_Wheels_1955_page_11_main_image.jpg

upload_2018-3-13_8-31-27.png

That's what I'm wondering. @MarkKBike has an older Traveler with a Miller generator running off the tire, and it also has Miller head and tail lights, and that's what the catalogs show also. But since the Dynohub was made by Sturmey-Archer, I'm guessing it may have come with Sturmey-Archer lights. I know the tail light on mine is not the same as his. But now I'm wondering who was Melos? I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out.

Based on your photo, the head badge looks fine, screw holes appear aligned, dead center the top S letter and bottom N.
It looks like, in your photo that, your screw holes on head post are misaligned. o_O

img_2474-jpg.jpg

Nice bike! Are those the original "Schwinn" calipers? I've wondered when they went to the Weinmann type.
The brakes are original but the levers are later models. I would have liked to use the originals but they were just too worn out.

I buddy of mine has a white Traveler I've been trying to get off him for a while now- good looking bikes! That head badge would drive me nuts though... :-0

Looks like the holes were drilled for the badge early on a Monday morning...by a worker still feeling the effects of an all-niter at his local pub...:rolleyes:

Back