When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On the wall of my local bike shop

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Before they were on the wall here, I'm told they were in the office of a bike wholesaler. Original paint and lightly used. 1951 maybe.
20180323_145730.jpg

20180323_145804.jpg

Pedals don't look like repops and the stems are not the same on each.

Pedals don't look like repops and the stems are not the same on each.

Dem re poop pedals and shinny stem already got done bagged!

Those are crappy old middleweight/girls/banana seat bike pedals...Oh riginals...

>Sigh<

If it's keeping you awake at night wondering, go back and look at the parts in person.

Check the rear hub. If it's a Bendix 76 or shimano, it's a repop.

They used wald parts. I think the rims are CMC. The headlight might be stamped Taiwan.

The tanks have phillips screws. Usually stainless.

Check the headbadge.

But, just comparing them to original pictures should be enough. I mean, the Wald fender struts are a dead giveaway.

I posted them here because I thought they might be of interest to people in this forum. I wasn't going to buy them, but thanks for the warnings. If I had known they were repops I wouldn't have wasted your time with them. It's disappointing but then I thought they were too good to be true. They are quite high up - I had to climb a staircase to take the photos, so a close-up examination is impossible. Now I suspect that this was deliberate.

I know every body has jumped on the reproduction bandwagon but I would like to point a few things out. The girls for one has the non-side reflector luggage rack that was on the 1950-52's. It also has a truss rod front fork. Neither were available on the reproductions. There were only a couple of prototype girs bikes made, non went into production.

The headlights on both are not the ones offered on the reproductions.

I'm not saying that they are not reproductions because there is plenty of parts like the seats and cheap goosenecks that were on them. They remind me more of the bikes Columbia "borrowed" then returned to the owners repainted along with the reproductions. They did this to one of my fathers bikes. When he got it back all the original chrome parts were missing and replaced with the parts used on the reproductions including the entire wheels. I know they did this to quite a few bikes as I had seen them at the factory when they were taking them apart.

I know every body has jumped on the reproduction bandwagon but I would like to point a few things out. The girls for one has the non-side reflector luggage rack that was on the 1950-52's. It also has a truss rod front fork. Neither were available on the reproductions. There were only a couple of prototype girs bikes made, non went into production.

The headlights on both are not the ones offered on the reproductions.

I'm not saying that they are not reproductions because there is plenty of parts like the seats and cheap goosenecks that were on them. They remind me more of the bikes Columbia "borrowed" then returned to the owners repainted along with the reproductions. They did this to one of my fathers bikes. When he got it back all the original chrome parts were missing and replaced with the parts used on the reproductions including the entire wheels. I know they did this to quite a few bikes as I had seen them at the factory when they were taking them apart.

Thank you for posting. I wanted to point that fork out about the girls bike, but wasn't sure if any of the prototype reproductions made it into circulation.

Back