When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me with detective work. The Pedal Pusher Newport Beach, CA

-
There were at least three different locations that I am aware of.
The last incarnation was on Pacific Coast Highway next to Cappy's Cafe.
That was only there for a short time while the remaining stock was being liquidated.

A few more PP photos for reference just for fun...

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Pedal Pusher Shirt.JPG

I think they were on 22nd or 23rd street when I discovered them. the bike you have may be one of the many they rented out to the tourists. they also did restorations and sold tons of vintage parts. they were the pulse of the hobby back in the early 1980's. it was the happening place. they did sell the shop and it was run by a fella but can't remember his name. they had the coolest t-shirts-I always bought a few every time I visited.

I think they were on 22nd or 23rd street when I discovered them. the bike you have may be one of the many they rented out to the tourists. they also did restorations and sold tons of vintage parts. they were the pulse of the hobby back in the early 1980's. it was the happening place. they did sell the shop and it was run by a fella but can't remember his name. they had the coolest t-shirts-I always bought a few every time I visited.

Hi, do you happen to have any of those t-shirts that you are willing to sell? I'm Gertrude Vorgang's son and I would love to get a hold of a shirt.

Thanks,
Dave

hummmmm…..I like them. I have worn some till they were rags and chucked them out. I have one or two-un-worn that maybe I will take another long look at and get back to you. they still fit my wife and she likes them too-lots of good memories of pedal pusher's-Gertrude and Henry.

Thanks for the quick response. I totally understand.

My mom passed away a couple of years ago. I went down to Oceanside and picked up a lot of my parents stuff from a storage unit. Not one t-shirt. I did find a trove of pictures from our times in Balboa. Thanks for considering it.

hi dave-i just got off the phone with a guy that was very good friends with your mom. when you said you were the son-we all knew mike but I had never heard of you-this guy did know you existed-wasn't sure of your name. so I went with my wife and we went thru our t-shirts(collectable) and we only have 1 each. although I understand the sentimental request part I am also sentimental about mine too. I was really fond of your mom and your dad was a hoot! my wife still cracks up when she thinks of him. its a good vibe. so I am going to keep mine. it would be very easy to put a 'wanted' ad here on the cabe for one-seems to me I saw a couple go for sale here. and I think I saw one on ebay one time-it was a rag and went for about a $100! good luck with your quest. (doesn't mike have a couple laying around?) bet you could re-run them and sell them like hotcakes! best wishes -tyler

Yeah, no problem. Mike and I had a bit of a falling out. The yellow one in this thread was really a classic, first one we produced. I think Charlie designed it. I bummed that I missed it. I think he sold it for $40 with another t-shirt. The green one was the new style but also a classic. If your ever interested in some old parts that I inherited let me know. I did just sell a 1939 Colson tandem which was awesome since it steered from the rear. If you ever change your mind or if you see one, I'd appreciate you letting me know. Your right, my folks were awesome and I had a fantastic childhood. Take care.

Gertrudes son Mike is still around, he contacted me out of the blue last year and still had some 'smalls' from the
shop and was doing well. I was fortunate to shop at all the locations including the first shop in Newport Beach. Amazing how chocked
full of goodies it was. The only thing that came close was the early Memory Lane Perrysburg location before the inventory
went to 90% reproduction stuff. I clearly remember what was hot and 'trendy' in these parts back then, lots of people wanting
straight bar or DX Schwinns usually powder coated bright red or yellow or some other bright color, often no fenders or accessories, just truss
rods etc. I can remember riding my plain jane Straight bar Hornet, rusty maroon original paint on the "strand" our beach
bike path here in LA, and people would flip out on that simple plane jane bike. They just stood out from everything
rolling down the bike paths back then in an era of ten speeds and eventually the new Schwinn Cruisers. Now thanks to Retro-hell
as I call it, no one really notices the vintage ballooners around here as the vintage / retro look saturated the bike industry
with tons of variations of the balloon tank bikes looking 'old'.. I can remember clearly when literally a crowd would gather when
you rode your original ballooner down at the beach.
Sadly the last owner of the Pedal Pusher chain Larry Kiel was killed tragically a year or so ago in an automobile accident.
Charlie Churchill is doing well and living in So Cal also. Ahhh The good ol' days of swap meets in the late 70s in So Cal where most of what showed up
was NOS original inventory stuff from shops around the area and US. Whizz-in, Balloonaitc, and Gary H's Huntington beach Main St. mega swaps!

Back