When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up a schwinn voyager 10.8

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SJ_BIKER

Riding a 41 Super Deluxe
I dont know a dang thing about these...the shifters are on the handle bar ends ....will post actual pic tommorow

Screenshot_2018-07-16-22-35-43.png

I think you meant Voyageur 11.8, not 10.8.
The first production year for the Voyageur 11.8 12-speed model was 1980 when it was marketed as a touring bike. Depending on the year, these were the #2 road bike in the Schwinn lineup behind the Paramount and above the Super LeTour. I’ve read that in 1980 Paramount production was stopped for a dept. reorganization so this was Schwinn’s top lightweight that year. The all chrome frame was the most expensive at $400, painted frames were $350. That’s inflation adjusted to $1.219 & $1,066 in today’s dollars.These came with a Shimano Altus LT groupset. The shifters were located on the downtube until at least ‘88 so your bar-end shifters may be an aftermarket mod.
The later (1983) Voyaguer SP 15-speed model is still highly valued as a very good touring bike. It was equipped with the Shimano Deore groupset.

Over time it’s possible the model dropped down in the lineup, I haven’t checked the later history of the model.

From the Findley Schwinn catalogs (http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm:(

EAD8056A-C469-47DC-9122-A5D9C9B92519.png

0ADDA304-44F5-4E89-BCFC-8C6C4BD9E716.jpeg

im confused. according to Chicagology.com a 1974 schwinn paramount shows shifters on the drop bars? and when i compared the bike i found to this one in the site they dont look too different.

paramount1.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, yours looks just like my black ‘80 11.8 model, except for the bar end shifters. As found:
E671F7E4-7200-49D0-B2E7-486A0ECAEAD3.jpeg

And who ever thought foam covered handlebars was a great idea on a high end bike??

The chrome lugs on the Paramount are the biggest tipoff (other than the name decal) that there’s something special going on with that bike.

Back