When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Big Tank Differences

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
I just posted this as a response to a thread but thought it may deserve a stand-alone thread for reference. The Shelby "big tank" Airflo models were built between 1938 and 1941. The early bikes were normally full deluxe bikes with all the bells and whistles. While Shelby had model numbers for these collectors have developed their own names in some cases such as "No-Nose" and "Speedline".

The Speedline was the top-of-the-line deluxe model. The No-Nose was a lesser model and typically not as well equipped as the top tier bikes. Notice the tank does not extend past the head tube hence the "No-Nose" designation. The Arrow was a bike built by Shelby but sold through Gambles Department stores and typically was lesser equipped than the Speedline.

While almost all No-Nose and Arrows I run across feature the 'streamline' handle bars most, if not all, of these left the factory with steerhorn bars. Even some Speedlines were originally equipped with steerhorn bars. Same goes for the seat. The Lobdell horizontal spring seat was used on the earlier Speedlines while the No-Nose and Arrow typically had Troxel long spring seats. As time went on the deluxe features on all bikes diminished with lower level guards, racks, seats, fenders/braces, and lack of electrical accessories. V/r Shawn

Speedline
DSC06539 - Copy (2).jpg

No-Nose
DSC_0900 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG

Arrow
DSC_0770 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG

And then there were, what I've been calling, the 1940/41 Surplus models.
These were typically all equipped and painted the same, and could have had either a Snub Nose or Long Nose tank and either a straight or curved down tube frame, with no preference to which way they were equipped.
Most had the Shelby Supreme badge, but that was not definite.
So far, I have not seen one of these models with a No Nose tank.
image.jpeg

Most of these models were equipped like this one.
Some of the later ones had the Shelby Flightline type chainguard, which looks pretty cool!

So Shawn the later ones , had the bel-air style racks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here are a couple pages from the '39 catalog. The Model 52 (No-Nose) says the headlight is "Self-contained, polished aluminum, torpedo shaped." This would indicate no light switch. As I stated before I don't believe any No-Nose ever had a light switch on the tank. Re: the 'biscuit' lights I believe this is a >'40 feature as I don't see any of these in pre '40 literature. My initial three paragraphs on this were very broad generalizations. A monogrpah could be written just on the big tank bikes. Shelby used a lot of suppliers and along with promotional models you will find a lot of variety in these bikes. Unfortunately so many of them have been 'collectorized' that it confuses a lot of collectors as to what is original on these bikes. The other page here shows a few of the different parts used on Shelbys (not necessarily just big tanks). V/r Shawn

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

Here are a couple pages from the '39 catalog. The Model 52 (No-Nose) says the headlight is "Self-contained, polished aluminum, torpedo shaped." This would indicate no light switch. As I stated before I don't believe any No-Nose ever had a light switch on the tank. Re: the 'biscuit' lights I believe this is a >'40 feature as I don't see any of these in pre '40 literature. My initial three paragraphs on this were very broad generalizations. A monogrpah could be written just on the big tank bikes. Shelby used a lot of suppliers and along with promotional models you will find a lot of variety in these bikes. Unfortunately so many of them have been 'collectorized' that it confuses a lot of collectors as to what is original on these bikes. The other page here shows a few of the different parts used on Shelbys (not necessarily just big tanks). V/r Shawn

View attachment 841321

View attachment 841322
Sweet parts detail pic Shawn! Any more you can share? Is there an associated legend?

Thanks
Chad

Hey Chad I'd have to dig back through my stuff. Like I said this subject is worthy of a monograph but I already have two in the oven right now. There are probably a couple of others well more qualified than me to write this anyway. V/r Shawn

Back