When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored and Customized 1965 Sears Spaceliner Deluxe

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Below is a copy and paste of my Craigslist ad. If you're a purist, you probably should skip to the next listing. This is my first major project so I wanted to have some fun with it by giving it some more personality. It was just as enjoyable customizing the bike as it was restoring it. The first link is to my ad. The second is to my buildup thread. Enjoy.

Spaceliner for sale on Craigslist, Minneapolis

Spaceliner frame and chrome restoration

This is the coolest thing you'll see on here today! Turning heads is what this bike does best. Want to ride in your town's parade? It'll do it with style and flare. Cruise the local lakes? You better get used to stares and kids saying "Oh, cool!" It's definitely a crowd pleaser. If you don't want to be the center of attention this bike isn't for you. Riding this vintage, rare bike is the ultimate expression of freedom--metaphorically and literally.

One thing it is not is light. Just like classic cars of the '60s it's a heavy pig. Its vintage metal at it's finest. The frame size is 18.5", so best for someone 5' 10" and shorter. It rolls on new 26 x 1.5" Duro City Cavalier whitewall tires. The headlight is functional, however it's more for aesthetics. The tank is custom and the chainguard has a new "Spaceliner" decal. The license plate and red valve dice are NOS. The seat, also NOS, has a crash rail and is surprisingly comfortable. Everyone notices the red pedals--they're NOS as well. New single-speed chain. New patriotic streamers.

If you're not familiar with Spaceliners and are curious about its history, read on. Otherwise skip to the next section. The renowned industrial designer Viktor Schrekendost designed Spaceliners for five years, from 1964-1968. The ladies deluxe version that you see above was made between 1964-1965, by Murray for Sears, model #46911. Viktor passed at the age of 101.

The bike underwent a major makeover, an 8-month restoration and customization process. It had some surface rust so it received a chemical treatment to remove it. Oxalic acid is the chemical of choice and would have made Walter White proud. For the uninitiated, oxalic acid is just fancy wood bleach that works wonders on rusted metal parts. Once the rust was clear, the frame and all metal parts were meticulously hand-polished and waxed. There isn't a lick of rust on this thing anywhere! Not even under the fenders.

The entire drivetrain was overhauled with new bearings and grease. The Bendix single-speed hub was rebuilt and features a coaster brake. The tank does not have a horn but it's patriotic so even better.

Hipster Approved.

$1,200 Obo. Reasonable offers considered.

CASH only
Local pickup only.
Delivery within 30 minute drive if pre-paid.
No returns.
All sales final.
Smiles are guaranteed.
Trades considered: Schwinn Phantom, Jaguar, most Schwinn middleweights in good condition.
Located in Blaine, MN.

Serious inquiries only. Asking "is it available?" means you're tire kicking. If you're a collector or someone genuinely interested I'd be more than happy to show you this beautiful bike.

I'll include the stock handgrips and pedals for those days when you want a more subdued ride (gray and white if I remember correctly).
The bike geeks that are interested, I have a photo collection of the entire process and can share them.

Tags: vintage, spaceliner, chrome, murray, sears, cruiser, bike, bicycle, classic, schwinn, hipster, antique, collector, hawthorne, 60s, ladies, women's, red white blue, patriot, patriotic, American, collectible, lots of smiles, giddy...

fullsizeoutput_1ffe.jpeg

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5409.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1ffb.jpeg

IMG_5418.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1fff.jpeg

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5463.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

Below is a copy and paste of my Craigslist ad. If you're a purist, you probably should skip to the next listing. This is my first major project so I wanted to have some fun with it by giving it some more personality. It was just as enjoyable customizing the bike as it was restoring it. The first link is to my ad. The second is to my buildup thread. Enjoy.

Spaceliner for sale on Craigslist, Minneapolis

Spaceliner frame and chrome restoration

This is the coolest thing you'll see on here today! Turning heads is what this bike does best. Want to ride in your town's parade? It'll do it with style and flare. Cruise the local lakes? You better get used to stares and kids saying "Oh, cool!" It's definitely a crowd pleaser. If you don't want to be the center of attention this bike isn't for you. Riding this vintage, rare bike is the ultimate expression of freedom--metaphorically and literally.

One thing it is not is light. Just like classic cars of the '60s it's a heavy pig. Its vintage metal at it's finest. The frame size is 18.5", so best for someone 5' 10" and shorter. It rolls on new 26 x 1.5" Duro City Cavalier whitewall tires. The headlight is functional, however it's more for aesthetics. The tank is custom and the chainguard has a new "Spaceliner" decal. The license plate and red valve dice are NOS. The seat, also NOS, has a crash rail and is surprisingly comfortable. Everyone notices the red pedals--they're NOS as well. New single-speed chain. New patriotic streamers.

If you're not familiar with Spaceliners and are curious about its history, read on. Otherwise skip to the next section. The renowned industrial designer Viktor Schrekendost designed Spaceliners for five years, from 1964-1968. The ladies deluxe version that you see above was made between 1964-1965, by Murray for Sears, model #46911. Viktor passed at the age of 101.

The bike underwent a major makeover, an 8-month restoration and customization process. It had some surface rust so it received a chemical treatment to remove it. Oxalic acid is the chemical of choice and would have made Walter White proud. For the uninitiated, oxalic acid is just fancy wood bleach that works wonders on rusted metal parts. Once the rust was clear, the frame and all metal parts were meticulously hand-polished and waxed. There isn't a lick of rust on this thing anywhere! Not even under the fenders.

The entire drivetrain was overhauled with new bearings and grease. The Bendix single-speed hub was rebuilt and features a coaster brake. The tank does not have a horn but it's patriotic so even better.

Hipster Approved.

$1,200 Obo. Reasonable offers considered.

CASH only
Local pickup only.
Delivery within 30 minute drive if pre-paid.
No returns.
All sales final.
Smiles are guaranteed.
Trades considered: Schwinn Phantom, Jaguar, most Schwinn middleweights in good condition.
Located in Blaine, MN.

Serious inquiries only. Asking "is it available?" means you're tire kicking. If you're a collector or someone genuinely interested I'd be more than happy to show you this beautiful bike.

I'll include the stock handgrips and pedals for those days when you want a more subdued ride (gray and white if I remember correctly).
The bike geeks that are interested, I have a photo collection of the entire process and can share them.

Tags: vintage, spaceliner, chrome, murray, sears, cruiser, bike, bicycle, classic, schwinn, hipster, antique, collector, hawthorne, 60s, ladies, women's, red white blue, patriot, patriotic, American, collectible, lots of smiles, giddy...

View attachment 852918

View attachment 852905

View attachment 852906

View attachment 852907

View attachment 852908

View attachment 852909

View attachment 852910

View attachment 852911

View attachment 852912

View attachment 852913

View attachment 852916

View attachment 852923

View attachment 852924

View attachment 852914

View attachment 852915

View attachment 852917

View attachment 852919

View attachment 852920

View attachment 852921

View attachment 852922
not sayin you don't know your market. Just sayin , at that price , your market ain't here on the cabe

PLAY NICE KIDS . Don't make me turn this car around

That's right. Last time I looked this is America, be proud of what you have done. It doesn't matter if you can afford it on not, and even the member said if you didn't want to buy it then skip to the link on how it was done.

Don't take your personal frustration out on another member...the American way is to see something you also have to sell and sell cheaper. DUH.

But raining on a parade isn't helping you in person. Be patient. This site is about BIKES FIRST.

not sayin you don't know your market. Just sayin , at that price , your market ain't here on the cabe

I’ve got a buddy whom, on his 50th birthday his wife bought him a $20,000 Harley. Over 50% of my sales have been gifts to a loved one. There’s a possibility, albeit a small one, that someone on here has a wife or girlfriend that they wouldn’t think twice about purchasing a premium bike for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to give a special thanks to everyone on here who has taken the time to offer their advise on this project. You know who you are. There were a few times when I thought about giving up (when i couldn’t get the clearcoat off) but you all helped and I appreciate it. A year ago I had no idea what oxalic acid was. Now I have a garage setup to tackle all sorts of challenges. You guys rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a buddy whom, on his 50th birthday his wife bought him a $20,000 Harley. Over 50% of my sales have been gifts to a loved one. There’s a possibility, albeit a small one, that someone on here has a wife or girlfriend that they wouldn’t think twice about purchasing a premium bike for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
possibly ,if you were offering one .But I believe most here would agree that a customized '65 SpaceLiner with extra holes drilled in chrome rear fender for a license plate that's 30+ years older than the bike is, probably doesn't qualify as premium . A "premium" SpaceLiner or any other classic bike would not be customized in any way GLWS

Last edited:
Back