When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To ride or not to ride an Aerocycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cyclingday

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
I guess I'm strange, because I've always heard people complain about the way Aerocycles ride, and I found mine to be a blast to ride.
I just set it up, so that I wasn't banging my knees on the crossbar, and have actually found it to be one the best cruisers I've got.
Just make it yours, and you'll love the way these bikes ride.
image.jpeg

I guess I'm strange, because I've always heard people complain about the way Aerocycles ride, and I found mine to be a blast to ride.
I just set it up, so that I wasn't banging my knees on the crossbar, and have actually found it to be one the best cruisers I've got.
Just make it yours, and you'll love the way these bikes ride.View attachment 874268
aero.jpg

You must have very short knees or have never had to make a sharp turn on your Aero.
I’m 6’3’' and no matter how high I raised the seat post, I still kept hitting the bars with my knees.
The ride itself was okay but not as nice as my bicycles with spring forks.
I don't think you're strange.
I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your Aero! :)

It looks like you kept the forward facing 7 type seat post on your bike.
That's why you were so cramped.
If you open up the 1934 parts catalog, you'll find the Persons nickel plated rear facing L type post in three different lengths.
I got the medium length one and put my special Schwinn exclusive deep pan Troxel saddle on it, and have been happily cruising the back roads of America every since.
I'm just about 6' tall with a 36" inseam.
So leg room is important, and although the 1934 Schwinn Aerocycle is not the ideal bike for a tall person, it can be equipped with period correct components to make it a very comfortable rider.

It looks like you kept the forward facing 7 type seat post on your bike.
That's why you were so cramped.
If you open up the 1934 parts catalog, you'll find the Persons nickel plated rear facing L type post in three different lengths.
I got the medium length one and put my special Schwinn exclusive deep pan Troxel saddle on it, and have been happily cruising the back roads of America every since.
I'm just about 6' tall with a 36" inseam.
So leg room is important, and although the 1934 Schwinn Aerocycle is not the ideal bike for a tall person, it can be equipped with period correct components to make it a very comfortable rider.

Alas....the Phantom spring fork and saddle,
Roadmaster dual spring forks and similar bikes
with springs ... have "spoiled" me so much that although I love the looks of early "bicycles"
very much,
I find myself riding '40s & '50s the most.
They are the most comfortable bikes for me.

Last edited:
bikes were sized for kids not for adults,so its a ten thou bike that only a kid looks right on,good for long flat rides,bikes of this level should be for display,if restored correctly

bikes were sized for kids not for adults,so its a ten thou bike that only a kid looks right on,good for long flat rides,bikes of this level should be for display,if restored correctly

I became aware of that fact not long after
having bought it in the 1990s.
Even got comments that I should not be
riding it!
Which only made me ride it more! ;)

Usually the pics hide a bad paint job but this one is really bad. You can see the orange peel and I'm not sure what the deal is with the black paint around the tank door? V/r Shawn

You think perhaps that the bike being from the '30s... just might have something to do with why it looks as you described it?

View attachment 874362
You must have very short knees or have never had to make a sharp turn on your Aero.
I’m 6’3’' and no matter how high I raised the seat post, I still kept hitting the bars with my knees.
The ride itself was okay but not as nice as my bicycles with spring forks.
I don't think you're strange.
I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your Aero! :)

Tilt the handle bars up a couple inches?:)

I agree. Bikes generally/mostly were made and designed for kids back in the day. I sold NEW modern bikes for over a year at a high end bicycle shop in town about 6 years ago. All kinds of bikes, and prices. Cruisers, racers, mountain bikes, hybrids, BMX etc. I found it interesting how Electra's ( Cruisers) have the bottom bracket in a more forward position on the frame to accommodate a better/healthier/efficient pedal stroke/leg extension with a lower seat position/center of gravity.

Of course now there are different frame sizes, and designs, and many types can be adjusted to suit riding style, position and body type and comfort level. A good rule of thumb is the leg extension through the pedal stroke. Your leg should be not totally "straight/hyper extended" at the bottom of your pedal stroke. You should have a slight bend to your knee to get the full use of your leg muscle and not cramp your knee joint. I don't know about you guys/gals, but if I ride hard and long with my knees cramped ( NOT as I just mentioned/ the recommended almost fully extended with only a slight bend) it hurts after awhile and is certainly not doing my knees any good. They ache like a Banshee after!!! OK, I'm an old guy ( 61) and punished my feet and knees running for years, ( now a swimmer/not a good one/ but I do it..ha!) so try to ride my bikes with the proper stance and leg extension if going for a long ride. Now that said:

I'm only about 5' 9" but to achieve the best and most comfortable riding position ( leg extension/straight back/upright stance) on any of my bicycles, I need to raise the seat post and sometimes the handlebar stem. Frankly, the lines and style of the bicycle suffers with those adjustments. Like many collectors on the CABE, I like to ride my bikes, but at the same time, want to represent the bicycle in the tasteful artistic way it was designed for. If I'm going for a long ride, I make the necessary adjustments for comfort. If a bike is for display only, it's generally "in the weeds" on adjustment. I think a classic bike with the seat tube in the clouds looks goofy. Just my opinion. There are some "stock" ( as mentioned by another Caber) seat posts and stems that can achieve a more comfortable ride and still maintain the stylish look of the bicycle.

I suppose ideally a person could "test ride" a prospective purchase of a classic bike. That's often not possible. Maybe that's a key question ( I've never asked) to field while considering a purchase. Ask the seller, ask other owners of the same bike. Read the CABE. If you intend to ride a bicycle lots and enjoy it, make sure it fits your needs in all areas.

Back