When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Hawthorne Twin Bar

-
woohoo.gif
Two steps forward, and not one step back from here on out!

I started all of this not knowing where it would end up, or how people would react to it. I also wanted to show what goes into some of the projects seen on here, and why restores cost so much money...
I just wanted to thank all for the comments, especially when I was ready to give up. There was so much going on behind the scene. A little bit of health issues that have been cleared up, and some odd paint issues that I think I told 1 person here....
I spent 127 hours on this project, 43hrs on the fenders alone.(not counting the repaint)..I could have just slapped some bondo on them and been done in 2.5 hrs.Instead I went with a roller, dollies, spot putty to find low spots, and sanding primer. They look brand new.
DSC_1109.JPG

DSC_1110.JPG

DSC_1111.JPG

DSC_1113.JPG

There was an odd issue with the paint. So much so that I had to paint the fenders 4 times.. I've narrowed it down to the White, which I think was a Poly Urethane, not a Urethane enamel...It wouldn't dry, and I couldn't re-paint over it...I had to take all of it off down to the original primer each time. I didn't do that for the frame, so it still has issues..
Note to self: if you fixing a small dent where the crank may have hit the frame, take note and figure a way to fix that...

Ding.png

I will say that having the fender braces Zinc plated turned out quite well, but another lesson was learned. Even though they were blasted, they still had small rust pits on them. Take some time with a sander and smooth them out..

DSC_1376a.JPG

Because of the paint issues, I decided to go with a threaded fastener to use on the fender to braces....#6 x 3/8" Stainless Button Head with lock nuts & small hard fiber washers underneath.....
DSC_1389.JPG

And the rest of the pics of some of the little details that kept me going......

DSC_1378.JPG

DSC_1380.JPG

DSC_1381.JPG

DSC_1383.JPG

DSC_1387.JPG

DSC_1392.JPG

Thanks all......................on to the next project.

Back