When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old 3-speed JC Higgins help

-

rexrogers

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Picked up this old 3-speed JC Higgins today for $25. From checking the forum I'm guessing it's late 50's early 60's and maybe an Austria made bike.

Any info on the bike would be great.

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

It's dirty and used but actually seems like with some new tubes, some oil, and some adjustments it'll be totally usable.

I'm not really a bike guy so all new to me. What size tubes does this bike use? If I have to get tires any recommendations? Thanks for help.

IMG_0418.JPG

------

Congratulations!

Your research spot on. ;)

Made by Steyr/Styria who also proudced bicycles under the Puch and Austro-Daimler badges.

Torpedo IGH by Sachs.

Tip - these frames have one unique dimension: the steerer has an OD of 26.0mm which means the headsets are special. This is sometimes referred to as "Austrian size."

Tip #2 - the number 503 46 100 in the bottom bracket shell is not a serial but rather a lot number for use by manufacturer and Sears. Do not permit a licensing agency to record it as there may have been thousands of bikes in this lot, all with the same number. Makes for record keeping confusion as false positives when checking numbers against stolen lists.

Chainstay bridge is ESGE brand.

Wheel/tyre/tube size is 26" X 1 3/8"

Have good fun with this new arrival. These are solid and honest machines.

-----

-----

Dating -

There are two spots you can check for a marking:

a) shell of rear hub

b) back side of Weinmann brake calipers

o58ej9.jpg

-----

I think the rear hub is not Sachs, but a sturmey clone 3-spd with a lot of oil in it.(good thing)...clean it off with a brush and mineral spirits and ride it!

These are reasonably well-made bikes with a lot of character to them. It's sort of a little different alternative to the more common Raleigh Sports bike.

Back