When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found today on CL. 1953 varsity world 3 speed. Wrong parts? (obvious and not so obvious)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Just took this out of the van. Haven't even cleaned it yet:

IMG_5640[1].JPG

Well the rear wheel is a dated 65 sturmey and the rim looks to be off a lesser Brit roadster like a BSA or Dunnelt or Robin Hood or...

IMG_5651[1].JPG

The levers are mis-matched and mid sixties I think. The grips are Pea Picker era.

IMG_5659[1].JPG

IMG_5660[1].JPG

IMG_5641[1].JPG

(Most of the) Bike is a 53 based on serial #.

IMG_5652[1].JPG

IMG_5648[1].JPG

LOVE! these old world style bars. Could the "Brampton" trigger be right? Will it even work the S/A hub? Was the original hub a Sturmey? Could it have been a "SW"? I have some of the SW hubs somewhere...

IMG_5649[1].JPG

Could this caliper be right? The rear one is aluminum and had "world" embossed on it.

IMG_5655[1].JPG

Looks like a painted and pin striped front rim... correct?

IMG_5646[1].JPG

Pedals look OK. That clip on the guard held the rear brake cable? Run like the ladies bikes ran them??

IMG_5643[1].JPG

Nice!

IMG_5642[1].JPG

IMG_5644[1].JPG

IMG_5645[1].JPG

I will work on saving that great British Racing Green Paint. Thanks for any help you may give me on what is correct and what is added by previous owners. I also have a 63 Varsity that is in original nick!

IMG_5662[1].JPG

IMG_5661[1].JPG

IMG_5663[1].JPG

Thanks

Jim

IMG_5647[1].JPG

Looks like one caliper and one lever is correct. I'm into the early to mid 60's Varsitys and not the earlier 3 speeds. Pretty sure those pedals are not correct. That cable clip on the guard is for the rear brake cable and I've seen them actually used a few times on these older style lightweights. When the middleweights came out in 55 the Corvette had that same guard with the cable clip on the boys model and it was never used. I have never figured out why Schwinn had it on the boys 55 Corvettes. I have a 55 girls coaster Corvette and it does not have the clip. Rear hub was most likely and Brampton, SA clone, with an S-6 rim.

Here's a 53 Varsity said to be a one owner and untouched, but I see someone "unloosened" the rear fender brace and the grip is a later issue.

000_5012-jpg.jpg

000_5013-jpg.jpg

000_5014-jpg.jpg

Looks like one caliper and one lever is correct. I'm into the early to mid 60's Varsitys and not the earlier 3 speeds. Pretty sure those pedals are not correct. That cable clip on the guard is for the rear brake cable and I've seen them actually used a few times on these older style lightweights. When the middleweights came out in 55 the Corvette had that same guard with the cable clip on the boys model and it was never used. I have never figured out why Schwinn had it on the boys 55 Corvettes. I have a 55 girls coaster Corvette and it does not have the clip. Rear hub was most likely and Brampton, SA clone, with an S-6 rim.

Here's a 53 Varsity said to be a one owner and untouched, but I see someone "unloosened" the rear fender brace and the grip is a later issue.

View attachment 884414

View attachment 884415

View attachment 884416
Thanks! Can't wait to ride her...

Jim

I have had a couple of 1955/6 Corvettes and they also routed the rear brake cabke so it connected to chain guard. Not sure why they did that. Roger

Just took this out of the van. Haven't even cleaned it yet:

View attachment 884249

Well the rear wheel is a dated 65 sturmey and the rim looks to be off a lesser Brit roadster like a BSA or Dunnelt or Robin Hood or...

View attachment 884253

The levers are mis-matched and mid sixties I think. The grips are Pea Picker era.

View attachment 884248

View attachment 884246

View attachment 884258

(Most of the) Bike is a 53 based on serial #.

View attachment 884251

View attachment 884255

LOVE! these old world style bars. Could the "Brampton" trigger be right? Will it even work the S/A hub? Was the original hub a Sturmey? Could it have been a "SW"? I have some of the SW hubs somewhere...

View attachment 884252

Could this caliper be right? The rear one is aluminum and had "world" embossed on it.

View attachment 884254

Looks like a painted and pin striped front rim... correct?

View attachment 884257

Pedals look OK. That clip on the guard held the rear brake cable? Run like the ladies bikes ran them??

View attachment 884260

Nice!

View attachment 884259

View attachment 884261

View attachment 884262

I will work on saving that great British Racing Green Paint. Thanks for any help you may give me on what is correct and what is added by previous owners. I also have a 63 Varsity that is in original nick!

View attachment 884281

View attachment 884282

View attachment 884284

Thanks

Jim

View attachment 884256
I saw this listing as well. (East Windsor) The price was definitely right. But I couldn't justify driving close to 800 miles round trip. Glad it went to a CABEr

I saw this listing as well. (East Windsor) The price was definitely right. But I couldn't justify driving close to 800 miles round trip. Glad it went to a CABEr

As did I. A (self-imposed) project limit kept me from pursuing it. Now that I see Jim's vastly better photos, I question if I would have been as faithful to my resolve.

Great score, Jim. Looks like you got your money's worth in the handgrips alone! Also great to know there's other people into this stuff in my vicinity (I'm in Middletown). Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

As did I. A (self-imposed) project limit kept me from pursuing it. Now that I see Jim's vastly better photos, I question if I would have been as faithful to my resolve.

Great score, Jim. Looks like you got your money's worth in the handgrips alone! Also great to know there's other people into this stuff in my vicinity (I'm in Middletown). Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Thanks Guys! I will post updates as soon as I can...

Back