When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 stumpjumper

-

Sevenfooter

Look Ma, No Hands!
Did a midnight Craigslist run to pick this up. It is in excellent shape 9.5 out of ten through some new tires and tubes on it and some pedals I had , would think about a trade or selling it , I am a sevenfoot guy so I like tall stuff !

0901181639.jpg

0901181640.jpg

0901181640a.jpg

0901181640d.jpg

0901181640c.jpg

0901181640b.jpg

0901181640e.jpg

0901181640f.jpg

0901181641.jpg

0901181641c.jpg

0901181641b.jpg

0901181641a.jpg

0901181641d.jpg

0901181641e.jpg

0901181642.jpg

Wow!. That is a really early 15-spd friction shifter Stumpy.....super low mile w/tribars. Looks like it never was ridden in the dirt...quite rare to be complete like that actually..nice find....

Are 80's mountain bicycles now collectible?
tons of bikes like this for sale locally for $20-$50!
is there a resale market?

Yes and no.

I get your reply, @pedal4416
but I am not looking in getting into the bike resale business ..... I am just curious as to what is interesting about them or why people want to collect them unless they are selling for $50 or less.

I bet some of the bikes are probably rare because some were produced in limited numbers or had outrageous prices in the 80's and 90's
or maybe some even had a cool innovative feature but .......
I really don't see much value and collectability in vintage mountain bikes!
I didn't even know there was a collector market for them.

These were so abused off road that you do not often see them in that condition, so maybe yes. Most are really hammerded and worth $50. The super clean ones may be more collectable in the future, especially the higher end boutique brands, one-offs and any with provenance....

These were so abused off road that you do not often see them in that condition, so maybe yes. Most are really hammerded and worth $50. The super clean ones may be more collectable in the future, especially the higher end boutique brands, one-offs and any with provenance....
Yes their is a collector's market for these bikes , these are the bikes that so many of us grew up with and to find them in such pristine condition is rare but also these bikes were made in far more limited runs than the older schwinn and they also have really great history on their development and history of how they came to be , like any collectable they have a story and I would say check out the history on Klunking and mountain biking

My internet was working properly! I had more that got cut off!
Early bikes like this are highly collectible but it’s got to be the right brands and models. 80’s stuff is big and 90’s stuff is getting bigger. It’s also one of those markets where you have to find the right person who wants that bike. Sevenfooter’s bike is beautiful, now it’s finding that right collector or a guy/girl who had one back in the 80’s.
@locomotion do some quick research before you buy!! And obviously look for the lower end bikes that got major parts upgrades. Some parts are worth more than the bike.

In my local area it would not be a hard sell in the 80$- $115 range. It would sell quickly in the spring time. One could get more if patient for the right buyer.

If I found one in that nice of condition that fit me correctly I would ride it for a while before I would be able to bring myself to sell it. (Unless I found a even nicer one of similar style).

Unfortunately, many of these bikes would bring in higher prices if parted out. This one looks to nice, I would have a hard time deciding to sell it if it fit me, but with your height the decision would make it much easier to sell.

The early mountain bikes I have sold in the past, were purchased mostly from middle aged men in there 30's - 40's who either had a similar one in the past, or wanted one but had something less expensive in there younger years.

In early summer, I had a older GT that sold in that range, and it only lasted a day or two once it was listed. This bike looks nicer than mine did.

Last edited:
Back