When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ND 3 speed...how does it function?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
My first one of these, came on a free bike. Bike is in overall good condition, but been sitting a long time inside. Pedals ok, seems to be in third gear (also indicated on shifter). I can't seem to make any gear changes. The cable moves freely, seems that the problem is in the rear but I have no idea what to do now. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

New Departure 3 speed? Mine doesn't show what gear is in on the shifter, kind of sounds like a Sturmey Archer shifter.

This is how to adjust a Sturmey Archer 3 speed. Not totally sure if a New Departure 3 speed adjusts the same way because I didn't have to adjust mine.
With the shifter in the 3rd gear position
Locate the threaded rod on a small chain coming out of the rear axle.
It should have a locknut on it, and the end of the cable has a threaded female end.
Loosen the locknut, and tighten the cable end just enough to take the slack out of the cable and then snug up the locknut.
If done correctly, you should then have all three gears.
If you can't figure it out, you can always bring it over on a weekend and I'll show you.

Your setup should look similar to this.
Cable
Threaded female end on cable
Locknut (the small round piece)
And the threaded rod on a chain.

20181013_165656.jpg

20181013_165703.jpg

My first one of these, came on a free bike. Bike is in overall good condition, but been sitting a long time inside. Pedals ok, seems to be in third gear (also indicated on shifter). I can't seem to make any gear changes. The cable moves freely, seems that the problem is in the rear but I have no idea what to do now. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
If it is a Sturmey Archer system, below is a diagram showing the correct adjustment with the shifter in second gear. Getting the cable slack out with shifter in 3rd gear gets you close but it is important to fine tune a SA hub as shown. The diagram shows the "flat" section of the indicator chain at the end of the last chain link. The flat should be flush with the end of the axle tip in second gear.

Two things to note - the indicator chain must be threaded all the way in and it must be the correct indicator chain....

I have no idea if a ND hub system is adjusted in the same way but would appreciate comments.

1540338535017.png

Thanks for the above gents. It is indeed a Sturmey-Archer set up. Tried lots of things, can't get the chain that comes out of the rear hub to move at all. The wire from the shifter is free all the way down to the little chain but won't move it at all. The bike pedals ok but seems to be in the (indicated) third gear. Is there something I am missing? Do I have to be pedaling the bike to make a gear change?

Mike

Is the little chain coming out of the hub rusted? If frozen it might not be flexing at all to acuatute and allow gear selection?

Thanks for the above gents. It is indeed a Sturmey-Archer set up. Tried lots of things, can't get the chain that comes out of the rear hub to move at all. The wire from the shifter is free all the way down to the little chain but won't move it at all. The bike pedals ok but seems to be in the (indicated) third gear. Is there something I am missing? Do I have to be pedaling the bike to make a gear change?

Mike

Sounds like it could be an issue with the chain, or an internal issue. If it is, I don't know enough about them to offer any advice.
Can you pull the chain by hand, with the cable disconnected?
Typically, these shift the best when you stop peddling, shift, then resume peddling.

Hey Jeremy...tried pulling the chain by hand, no dice. Guess I'm going to have to pull the wheel and tear into it.

Hey Jeremy...tried pulling the chain by hand, no dice. Guess I'm going to have to pull the wheel and tear into it.
I have found when the indicator chain is stuck it is the hard brown grease/oil inside that has gummed it all up. Some folks recommend trying to free it up by injecting whatever in the oil port but that is risky business.

Several tutorials are online in both print and video for the overhaul. It is more tedious than difficult (to me) but a successful job can be quite satisfying. Part of the success is not losing the pawl springs...:cool:

Back