When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lets see those americans

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi all, recent member of the Cabe but been on the OG Schwinn forum since 2003.

I just wanted to share my '64 American King Size with you. I should have taken before pics but I guess I must've deleted them. It was complete but dirty, rusty fenders, bent fork and the chainring was literally stripped out from the crank attachment point - never saw that before!

So I got this bike in October 2016, one Sunday morning I wake up to a text from a friend sharing a craigslist link. He has known for some time that I've been looking for a King Size but I never would've suspected one would surface semi-locally again (a truly needy friend of mine (6'5'') scored a red one in Des Moines back in '08). I was really excited about grabbing this bike!

Anyway, I texted the seller and he still had it despite the ad being a few weeks old. It was out in Iowa City and I'm in Ames - about a 3 1/2 hour drive round trip. My girlfriend's (now wife) family was visiting that day but fortunately, she let me duck out a little early to snag it that afternoon/evening.

It's been a fun project and I think I'm finally done with it, though it could benefit from some new tires. I don't ride it all too often, just enjoy looking at it all cleaned up indoors! My buddy traded me a '64 Fleet frameset so I pulled the rack off and installed it here, I like the look! Enjoy!

IMG_8017.JPG

Hi all, recent member of the Cabe but been on the OG Schwinn forum since 2003.

I just wanted to share my '64 American King Size with you.

You may want to post your cool bike on the King Size registry thread here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-king-size-registry-research-project.126932/ some more KS folks may see it there. Love the black and white color scheme and the chrome rack matches the fenders well.

PS Oh, and I believe your sprocket is installed inside out unless it's from a Corvette 5 speed.....but I don't wanna be one of those "it's gotta be correct" guys. Just letting you know, in case the chain is rubbing.

PS Oh, and I believe your sprocket is installed inside out unless it's from a Corvette 5 speed.....but I don't wanna be one of those "it's gotta be correct" guys. Just letting you know, in case the chain is rubbing.

Thank you for the heads up! Yeah, I do believe it may be an incorrect crank/chainring but I have not re-pulled it to investigate. I believe at the time I was building it up I specified a 64 dated crank in the want ad but the generic parts provider was rather unscrupulous and just gave me whatever he had.

You may want to post your cool bike on the King Size registry thread here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-king-size-registry-research-project.126932/ some more KS folks may see it there. Love the black and white color scheme and the chrome rack matches the fenders well.

Sure enough, I pulled the crank this past week and sourced a correct 46t cloverleaf sprocket from the 60s. Based on the crank SN, I bet this setup had come from a 90’s cruiser. Added bonus, no more chain slap or interference with the correct ring so it’s much less annoying to ride now!

C6050EAB-62F1-48B6-B2A4-39E0E51AB212.jpeg

Sure enough, I pulled the crank this past week and sourced a correct 46t cloverleaf sprocket from the 60s. Based on the crank SN, I bet this setup had come from a 90’s cruiser. Added bonus, no more chain slap or interference with the correct ring so it’s much less annoying to ride now!

View attachment 903666

B n B! I'll buy that chain ring from you, it's the wrong ring for a coaster bike. It belongs on a 5 speed Corvette or lightweight from 1964 thru 1968 and it's thinner to take a 3/32" chain.

Back