When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 color photo, 2 bikes.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Admiral Nimitz far right.
gettyimages-163555132-1024x1024.jpg

Marine Reservist 1943, according to caption.
gettyimages-535923215-1024x1024.jpg

Quite interesting! Besides what has already been mentioned as different from the usual style WWII Military Columbia, I noticed that the lower truss rod brackets are absent, pedals appear to be possibly Torrington 10's rather then 8's, the kickstand is not the usual one seen on the Columbia nor does it appear from what I can tell to be the style used on the Military Huffman ( although it is similar). The frame pump brackets look to me like they could have been finished in a reddish color or maybe red oxide paint. The hand grips look like they could be wood. I cannot tell from these photo's whether the frame joints are welded or brazed. However, since the curved tube frame would indicate a 1941 or early 42 construction I believe that brazing would have been used. Although it is my understanding that the US Military had some of the brazed bikes welded and then all future contracted bikes welded. Both my Jan. 1942 Huffman curved tube and my Feb. 1942 Columbia curved tube G519's appear to have brazed frame joints. The photo's themselves most certainly could be original. Color photography was available during WWII. However, I believe it was more common in live filming rather then still photo's, but it was used for some still photo's. Why the bright bike parts, who knows. My guess is that the bikes were 1941-early 42 models that may have been special ordered for some reason for Bermuda and only a handful were constructed maybe using prewar stock chrome parts, who knows. Like I have said in the past. When it comes to Manufacturing during WWII all bets were off!

Regards,
Bill

Hello;
These are frames early or mid 1941, the rear parts are not the same between the seat tube and the fender, the fixing of the seat tube is different too.
BE132742-4E37-48B7-9748-F336F6372138.jpeg

gettyimages-535922235-1024x1024.jpg

My frame G519 with curved tube is Dec. 1941 : MF 17056 H12
20190102_152737.jpg
20190102_152840.jpg

I think these are the premises of the standart G519.
Regards;
Serge

Thanks for the additional pictures. The Marines in post 17 are clearly wearing standard USMC shirts with pointed pocket flaps, but other pictures illustrate both Navy and Marine Corps men wearing the other type...
I think we can assume the men we referred to in the pictures are in fact Marines and have USMC insignia on belt buckle and Garrison cap...
Although the corporal strips on the so-called middle man still scream Army to me...
Anyway, this is a cycle board, not the US uniform forum...

Some of the sailors in the pictures are British, even Dutch (Koninklijke Marine on hat)...

The more I look at the pictured bikes the more I can see parts and/or features that were common with at least some of the 1941 Columbia civilian models. The style of the chrome handlebar stem, which differs from that which was used on the standard g519's and the full coverage chain guard as well as the black ''Persons'' saddle were all used on 1941 civilian models. The lack of a lower truss rod bracket was very common in 1941 Columbia civilian bicycles.

Regards,
Bill

I also noticed the bicycles in the first pictures do not have the rough welded joints.

Back