When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow - home made steam-powered vintage bike at estate sale

-

Pete1wray

Look Ma, No Hands!
Looks a little bizarre and mad-scientisty but this popped up on my feed this morning. Looks scary. For this and other steam power experiments by the deceased see https://www.estatesales.net/MO/Saint-Louis/63129/2094861
Steam_bike.png

I run boilers for a living.
That is scary and would be dangerous.
The square tank would contain water and the combustion (firebox) would be the contraption on the bottom, that would heat the water by using a propane bottle which would sit on the round platform on the left side.
The silvery stuff is probably insulation to keep the tank as warm as possible for steam and to, in theory, keep the rider from burning his nuts off.
The weight and imbalance, not mentioning the chance for a fiery episode, would make this one awkward, but memorable ride.

I run boilers for a living.
That is scary and would be dangerous.
The square tank would contain water and the combustion (firebox) would be the contraption on the bottom, that would heat the water by using a propane bottle which would sit on the round platform on the left side.
The silvery stuff is probably insulation to keep the tank as warm as possible for steam and to, in theory, keep the rider from burning his nuts off.
The weight and imbalance, not mentioning the chance for a fiery episode, would make this one awkward, but memorable ride.
Steampunk steam power! I thought this was awesome until the burn your nuts off part. Now it hurts just to look at it.

I don't know if I'd go as far as labeling it's creator a psychopath, but this person obviously could not tell the difference between right and wrong.

Last edited:
Looks like she has all the right pieces to go choo.. choo.. too bad its not on a toc frame of some sort nevertheless its a cool looking steam bike my respect to the builder he found out what bicycle freedom is all about. Cheers.

Last edited:
That is just flat out psycho! Reminds me of the 60’s hippy that cut the roof off a yellow school bus, only to begin building walls and a roof from 2x4’s so the bus looked like a house. He couldn’t finish because the weight of the added lumber and roofing sagged the bus to the ground!

Back