When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Stingray in primer I believe a factory Flambo Red bike

-
Still doesn’t clear that much up. With the rear fender being mounted on there I'd be inclined to believe that is a Sting-ray if it's the original fender. The bars help some, too but these things could have been added in-period. It was common to take the Skipper or other 20'' models and make a pig bike. Who knows and maybe it doesn't really matter...

Whatever the case, be it a next time, original paint ALWAYS BEATS stripping and primer, In my opinion. Maybe the next guy wants to salvage it, maybe they want to strip and repaint but you're money ahead to let the next guy have the option and they can do it. (I'm eyeing that sky blue in the background and hopefully saving it from the same fate.)

Anyway, my 2 cents. Others can weigh in. Again, best of luck with the sale!

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. The blue one has sold. The '63 "paint" it was in was ruddy red as pictured. To me someone would rather get a perfect piece then what it was. I would say let the pictures talk. Thanks for info!

This crown I thought I chucked was in a bag with the rest of the stuff I have to the bike. The rims were junk and from a non schwinn bike. There was no chain guard. Grips were green and VERY difficult to get off!

various pics plus Bike parts 1.16.2019 072.jpg

various pics plus Bike parts 1.16.2019 078.jpg

various pics plus Bike parts 1.16.2019 071.jpg

To my eyes in the picture of the drop out with serial number, it looks like the frame was repainted and it had gray primer under the red. And it somewhat appears in spots that it was painted over a red. The fork steer tube is/was blue so it's probably not original to the bike. That stem is not original to the bike either. What was the casting date on the crank, 64?
Since that serial number was stamped on Nov. 13? 1963 that bike very well could have been built up in 1964 as a 64. The November and December stamped serial numbers in most cases were used on the next years models. The actual drop out component was stamped with a serial number and the date associated to the SN is the date it was stamped on the drop out. Then at some point down the road that drop out was used in building a frame. Schwinn built the different models in batches and a mid/late Nov. SN'd frame could have been built in December or January. If someone is willing to pay big bucks for that frame, let them have it! Nothing is better than a fool with money! ;)
The only clue of that frame being a Sting Ray is the head set. The actual build date is unknown and the model year is more than likely 1964. As mentioned above, the Sting Ray used the deluxe head set, the Buddy and Fleet used the standard top and bottom cup head set.
What are your plans for this, a custom?

My plans are to sell. The crankset is June 1963. There is zero blue on frame. None encountered at all! Grey primer is what I added and it is OVER red not under it. If goose neck is wrong it was changed with forks. Based on everything said bike definitely points to being a Stingray with wrong year fork. 1. Red factory paint, 2. Chrome crown, deluxe headset, Correct early crankset, forks and frame are 23 months OFF so no to OCTOBER 1965!

20190116_044041.jpg

20190116_044019.jpg

In fact I have gathered all parts original to bike. I am now selling as a group. I am including all items pictured. The seat post clamp is neither S or SA (indicative of '63) has correct '63 only kickstand! Guys this bike is without a doubt a 1963. Everything points to it!

20190116_055840.jpg

Here are all items for sale. I will take less than asking at a very good deal. Here is your chance to get a real piece of history!

20190116_055920.jpg

20190116_055947.jpg

20190116_060012.jpg

20190116_060007.jpg

O.k. I got 100% confirmation just now this is a real Stingray. I was told the previous owners name and I tracked down his son who confirmed all stages of the changes. It turns out the fork change was because they were bent from the mother backing her car over the rim and fork (also explains rims not maching☆)He also mentioned taking off the Stingray chain guard to make it look like a dirt bike around 1971 or 1972. He says he has converted 8mm showing them riding fast and sliding in the wet driveway with bike in full original cladding.

Although ordinarily I would happily post this as proof but I am not. I really don't appreciate how this "site" for lack of better term is run. I had this bike posted in for sale and it was pulled without explanation of any kind. I have been basically treated like scum because at the end of the day it's pretty obvious I am right. This forum is like all others. You are attacked as someone who is a bottom feeder because they just signed up. I knew when the well known Schwinn guy said don't let them treat you that way BEFORE it happened painted the picture. I feel sorry for folks that cannot compliment or say something positive because of jealousy...nothing more. This frame is absolutely gorgeous and I spent 12+ hours making it super slick! Any compliments about that? Nope. Did Anyone say yes you are right SCHWINN is the "ball dropper" on correct stamping (unlike cars which I am an expert on) and did not designate these models...that's on Schwinn NOT ME! When you have real knowledge you understand there is ZERO possible way to tell. Anybody agree? Nope. Just everybody saying their sure it isn't a Stingray because the chances are just zero from some newbie. Way more proof leans toward it being a Stingray than not. Anybody saying that? Nope. Did above commenters stay on track and tell what it could be worth? No. I am disappointed but know how forums are controlled to always get the same mindless back and forth and the new guy or proof guy or the trophy holder get's bashed. I'll take my bike elsewhere while you guy's comment on bikes that are nothing more than complete and nothing ever happened...just an old bike that was never taken apart. I really can imagine if this was an older user on this forum the feedback would have been the EXACT opposite.

And another thing. At the end of the day I proved it was more Stingray
than anybody else could prove it wasn't. I know it. Makes no difference!

I'M DONE and OUT!

Back