When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WINGBAR - Silver King vs. Wards Duralium Silver Streak?

-
Thanks for the catalog pages Marty! Looks like the only difference between 37 and 38 is the stem. I have not seen the speedo stem in any ads or catalog pages, yet I see it on many M137s and Silver Streaks?

@cyclingday, got any ads or catalog entries showing that speedo stem? I've seen a hex version on the Flocycle with the hex handlebars, and round version with round bar bikes... were they just an option a lot of people went with, or what?

No sign of the speedometer console stem in either of the 37 or 38 Montgomery Wards catalogs.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The most notable difference between the accessory pages, is the 1938 introduction of the New Departure DD two speed coaster brake hub and the model WD front brake hub.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for posting Marty! Have you seen any Silver King or Silver Streak ad, maybe for the Flocycle or other high-end, prewar Monark, with that speedo neck? I know I've seen it in an ad somewhere, but just can't remember where? It certainly doesn't appear as even an accessory in the catalog? If you have any advertising for that neck, on or off a bike at all, even dealer catalog, please post?

I have never seen paper on a wingbar with speedo goose (flocycle yes) but I have never seen paper on hex truss rods either...

It's hard to tell from the illustration, but the 37/38 Fall/Winter catalog shows the Wingbar/Silver Streak with hexagonal truss rods.
image.jpeg

This parts list also mentions them.

Very Interesting! I overlooked that above-Surprised it does not have the hex bars!
Hex bars are mentioned in the M137 ad- not to be seen together? Thanks

(I have seen a flocycle with hex speedo stem/bars AND hex truss rods that I believe to be OG but who knows.)

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed! So, it appears the SK M137 or Wards Silver Streak wingbar were never offered with the speedo neck, nor was it even an accessory in the catalog. It does seem to have come as standard equipment on the Flocycle, however.

I can only imagine the reason I see that speedo neck on wingbars is owners put them on to dress up the bikes? But maybe dealers up-sold them to customers too? Similar to why I see so many Wald tomahawk stems on Shelby Airflo bikes... as far as I can tell, they were never standard equipment on that bike, but collectors love to put them on way more than other bikes, to the point where many believe they were standard, factory equipment. Is that a relatively recent trend, or were dealers back in the day offering as an upgrade?

Thanks for all your input folks, it looks like the factory issue stem for the M137 is the winged, art deco stem, and for the Wards Silver Streak is the two-piece "putter" type.

It's clear, (like with cars) buyers of bicycles often made special orders, or changed out parts & accessories to customize their bikes from new. To me, it doesn't make them wrong, or incorrect it only illustrates that catalogs and ads only suggest how bikes were offered in standard configuration.

It's a bit of a conundrum figuring out how I want my Silver Streak set up... as the ads/catalog show? Or as it came to me, or some combination.. either way, it's fun to get input from you fine, knowledgeable CABErs, I appreciate it!

I can commiserate your conundrum, Justin.
When I got my 36 Hawthorne, Duralium Airflow, i.e. "Flocycle."
I wanted to install the speedometer console stem, but after much consideration, I came to appreciate the bike as it was originally equipped.
I think, that's what separates the fortunate owners of the Monark flagship bikes from the lowly Mongomery Wards bought bikes. Lol!
Besides, I would've had to drill a couple of holes in the truss rod to install the totally cool internal speedometer cable routing.
I typically don't like drilling holes where they were not originally.
So in the end, I came to appreciate the Wards Hawthorne offerings from Monark, Silver King, Inc.
Cool bikes no matter which version you are fortunate enough to have.
image.jpeg

Back