When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

-
Maybe 1958/59....???
AMF used that chain guard on the 1959 Flying Falcon (I've been told it was originally a Shelby guard), and that's also about when the star sprocket came out, but I think 1957 was the last year for the serial number on the bottom bracket. Maybe stamped late in '57 for sale in '58? Except I don't see a "G" beside the serial number, which a '57 should have if my theory is right.

Well just picked this up this afternoon. What I was told 1950's AMF Roadster PaceMaker. Ok it has a 19 " frame, 26 " tires, expanding seat post, no clamp. Has an extra ear on rear drop out for fender mounting. Bendix coaster brake in rear. Handle bars are not original. Roadmaster badge is faded. Serial # B37972 G on BB. Anyone have any ideas when is was made?

View attachment 464375

View attachment 464376

View attachment 464377

View attachment 464378

View attachment 464379

View attachment 464384[/QUOTE]
I think the "G" means it's 1957, according to Phil Marshall's serial number list. Evidently they quit using the "56Cw" mark sometime in 1956 and just used the CW style serial number with a letter. I've seen one picture somewhere on here with the serial number and an "F", which I'm guessing was 1956, and there's been two or three with the "G". I have a 1958 and the serial number has a different format, it begins with "H" followed by a 6 digit number, and by that time it was also moved to the left drop-out.

Heres from a book I have about cwc serials
5cd4c103d58b6ab2a252763d361d6271.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Heres from a book I have about cwc serialsView attachment 933175

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This looks correct up through 1957, but the last two years don't match what I've seen. @Mitt25 posted pictures of a nice 1958 Luxury Liner (including the serial number) at the end of this thread:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1950s-amf-roadmaster-luxury-liner-help.113562/
And as you can see, the serial number starts with an "H" followed by a six digit number and it's on the left drop-out. There may be bikes with the "H" on the bottom bracket, but I haven't seen one yet. I have a 1958 Flying Falcon that I posted in this thread:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/amf-roadmaster-flying-falcon.98453/
I don't have a good picture of the serial number but the format matches Mitt25's bike. I also have a 1960 that uses the same form, "K" (for 1960) plus a 6 digit number, and the year is confirmed by the date on the hub. In the 1959 catalog all the model numbers begin with "J", and I would expect to see serial numbers on the bikes starting with "J". If someone has a 1959 marked like the example in this book, please post a picture.

RMFF-1.jpg

IMG_2405.JPG

Last edited:
Posted before about my Hiawatha, but still confused as to the year.... Been told 1947-1950.... E-65,100-CW
From the chart from an RMS-Phil, an E-CW might be April-May 1948.
1947 would more likely have an A, B, or C; 1950 would have an ACW.
There are other charts with numbers, (which cause some confusion).

Back