When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shippers beware. New tactic by USPS to avoid paying claims

-
I can understand holding the packages but marking them delivered is totally wrong! It should be marked returned to post office not delivered. Once it is marked delivered Paypal won't refund your money. They stand behind the post office irregardless of where in 60647 they delivered it to or whether it was scanned delivered and stolen by the carrier.

I’ve had it happen here in my hometown also. Expecting a package. Says it was delivered at 8:30 at night. BS. It shows up two days later. Like someone mentioned before. It’s an internal thing to appear there was no disruption in service. In my line of work it called “rolling the package”. Meaning rolling it over too the next day.

I lived in a rural area, the delivery person is contracted. She wouldn't even attempt a package delivery, she only gave out the slips, you know, sorry I missed you pick up your package at the post office. One day she just delivered the mail and I had a slip, I went to the post office, it was a little busy so the Post Master was helping out at the counter. I gave him the slip, he said we don't have your package because she is not back from her route yet. I told him she never carried packages just gives out the slips, he went in the back and came back with my package and a puzzled look. She was fired 4 days later. Now I live even more rural, no deliveries at all from USPS just P.O. Box pick up. UPS, DHL, FedX still are delivering to the door.

Our regular mailman , who did his job very professionally, was out on a injury, A terrible subsistute took his place.
Last Christmas time, my wife was expecting a package on a certain day. She checked the tracking said it was delivered hours prior. She called the Post Master.
He was able to track it via the GPS system in the truck and the time the package was scanned. Pin pointed our package to the right house number wrong street.
The Post master was willing to retrieve the package , but she and I went to the address and got her package.
This lady had numerous complaints. Where do they find some of these people?Thankfully our old mailman

Sped Man.
Ur package was not delivered or stolen or a scheme by the USPS to defraud ya from an insurance claim. It was a bad scan. That’s it. The USPS is still in possession of your package. They still had it in your PO as of 6:27 last night.

Scan. (No Acess@ 18:27 02/01/2019 Chicago IL 60647.

Lots of package delays because of the weather. Some Package delivery’s are up to a week behind schedule. If ya have a problem take this info to your PO and ask for the up to date info on the package....unless they take it out for delivery today. The info is from the actual USPS tracking info.
Hope this helps. If ya need anything else ask....We’re not all dog turds. Lol
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Weird stuff just happens sometimes. A few months back I shipped a package, and after three unsuccessful delivery attempts it was marked that it was picked up by the person at the post office. The buyer denied they ever picked it up and I believed them do to the concern they showed in our messages and the way they handled the communication. We opened a case with USPS, but luckily avoided one in E-bay.

Then several days later it was actually delivered again for real. The only thing I can think of is the package may have mistakenly been picked up by someone else who returned it back to the post office, and then it went back out again for delivery. I was not able to get any details in multiple call attempts other than what I could see online.

To the original poster, I do think there is a decent chance your package will show up. When buying items I have also seen packages marked delivered before they showed up on my doorstep.

Last edited:
'Oh, the humanity'......... Conspiracy on the part of USPS and UPS, no doubt! I'm equally distraught as my garbage pick up was a day late this week. But, I'll start a new thread rather than hijack this one. Gotta run. I'm headed out to buy a Ring Pro doorbell so I can monitor trash collection activities.

I, too, had this happen to me on an expensive bike part. Tracking info said it was delivered to my address, but the mail carrier gave it to somebody else. My local postmaster got involved and it was located from the carrier's hand held scanner through the USPS GPS System. They could tell exactly where it was dropped and I did get it back. Good Luck!

said it before and will likely say it again: 10s of thousands of packages shipped via USPS from my doorstep, many many received, very few problems.

LOVE the USPS.

I agree. I have had issues with UPS and especially FedEx, but not with USPS.

I have shipped one bike frame with FedEx, and that was through Bike Flights. That went OK. On the receiving end of FedEx I have had issues, though all were eventually resolved.

UPS seems to hold some items until the last "deliver by" date - even if they are at a facility about 4 miles away.

In all cases, I believe that commercial customers get better service.

Back